Eighteen

Millicent stood by the window, her gaze fixed on Henry as he left the porch. Their eyes met briefly, and he lifted a hand in a small wave before he turned back to his car. She let out a nervous breath and absentmindedly chewed on the corner of her mouth. After a moment, he disappeared from view, and she turned away from the window to find her father entering her bedroom, a small box from Henry in his hand.

"Thanks," she murmured, taking a seat on her bed and accepting the box from him. She glanced up at Darren and Abby. "Can I be alone?" She sensed their hesitation but they eventually left the room, closing the door behind them, giving her the space she needed.

She untied the small red ribbon from the box and carefully tore away the green wrapping paper. Pausing for a moment, she took a deep breath before opening the box. Inside, she found a delicate necklace, featuring a rose gold rose with a tiny diamond in the middle. A soft smile spread across her lips as she touched the small pendant, feeling its delicate craftsmanship. Her phone's notification sound chimed, and she glanced at it to find a new message from Henry.

'The rose is from their Disney collection, symbolizing Belle. I thought it was fitting for you, for us. You possess beauty, kindness, and intelligence that resonate with the essence of Belle. You see through me to the core of who I am, and you stand by me when no one else does. I meant it when I said I love you. I have faith that you'll find your way back to me. Merry Christmas, Shortcake.'

She set the phone on the nightstand with the box before crawling into bed under the blanket.

January 2023

"Couldn't I complete the last two terms at home? Please, Daddy..."

Darren sighed, feeling a mix of tenderness and frustration at Millicent's plea. Ever since the incident with Ben, she had taken to calling him "Daddy," and it never failed to tug at his heartstrings. "I'll see if I can arrange for some form of hybrid learning with your teachers. However, it's not a common practice, and I can't guarantee anything. I'm sorry."

"Don't let them see you falter, sweetheart." Abby chimed in, providing comfort as Darren drove them to get their books for the upcoming school term. "You're stronger than they are."

"I don't know if I am," Millicent whispered, her stomach in knots as Darren found a parking spot. Despite her inner turmoil, she stepped out of the car, her arm linked with Abby's as they walked into the school bookshop.

Inside, they split up to gather their respective books. Millicent's heart raced when she sensed a gaze fixed on her. His laughter reached her ears before she spotted him – Ben. She froze, tears welling up as he approached with a mocking smile. "Well, well, hello, sweetheart. It's been a while, hasn't it? I've missed you," he said, his fingers reaching for her cheek.

"Don't touch her," Henry's voice was a low growl as he stepped between them, firmly gripping Ben's wrist. "Haven't you caused enough pain?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Ben retorted, his smile fading as he tried to meet Millicent's gaze. "Just trying to have a conversation with my girl."

"She's nothing of yours. And you won't touch her ever again." Henry pushed Ben away, his expression now a scowl.

"As if I want a repeat performance of her constant whinging," Ben rolled his eyes, his gaze catching Millicent's as she reached out for Henry's hand. "How touching. You're playing hero, taking on my leftovers?"

"Please," Millicent's voice was a soft plea behind Henry, urging him to step back. Ben scoffed and walked away.

Turning back to Millicent, Henry's hand gently cupped her cheek, wiping away the tears. He noticed the necklace he bought her adorning her neck. "You like it?"

"I love it. Thank you, Henry..."

"Step away from her." Darren's voice was stern as he quickly approached them with Abby, pushing Henry back slightly. Henry raised his hands in a gesture of surrender.

"I'm okay, Dad. Henry scared Ben off," Millicent assured, positioning herself in front of Henry, finding comfort in his presence.

"I can't believe he had the audacity to approach you here," Darren commented, concern etched across his face as he looked at his daughter, her eyes red from crying. "Let's just go home."

"Could you go with Dad?" Millicent asked Abby, handing over her basket of books. She turned back to Henry as her father and Abby left. "Can we have a moment?"

Henry nodded, watching her family leave before focusing on Millicent. "I'm sorry, Henry."

"Enough with the apologies," he sighed, his hand gently tucking a strand of hair behind her ear as she leaned into his touch.

"I mean it. Sorry for letting their opinions about you get to me. I've had time to reflect, and you were right about everything. I trust you." She smiled, his grin widening at her confession. Leaning closer, her voice lowered. "Can you come to my window tonight? After my dad goes to bed. I'll text you?"

"I'll be there." The promise lingered in the air as he closed the gap to press a kiss on her cheek before walking away.