Twenty-Five

February 2023

Henry greeted Darren with a warm smile as he opened the door. "Hello, sir. How are you doing?"

Darren, standing there with his arms crossed, glanced at the bouquet of roses in Henry's hand and let out a sigh. "I'm okay, though I must admit I'm not a fan of roses."

Henry chuckled, and a smirk appeared on Darren's face. "You've got jokes..."

"Her favorite flowers are pink peonies, just for future reference," Darren whispered, the two of them hearing Millicent coming down the stairs.

"Thanks," Henry replied, and Darren winked at him just before shifting their attention to Millicent, who was descending the stairs in a striking red dress with her hair elegantly curled over one shoulder. A lump formed in Henry's throat as their eyes met, and he nervously smoothed down his shirt. "Wow, Millicent, you look absolutely stunning."

Millicent responded with a teasing tone, a smirk playing on her lips. "You almost sound surprised."

Henry chuckled, blushing slightly as he handed her the roses. "Of course, I'm not. You're always beautiful." He offered her a warm smile, then reached for her jacket.

She handed the roses to Darren. "Could you find a vase, please?"

"Of course. So, what's the plan for tonight?"

"We're heading to a Valentine's party, and then..." Henry's words trailed off as Millicent laughed softly, turning to her dad after donning her coat.

"And tonight, I'll be staying at Henry's." She leaned in to plant a loving kiss on Darren's cheek. "Goodnight, Daddy."

Darren nodded reluctantly, knowing Millicent was in safe hands with Henry, even though he found it hard to let her go. "Have a good night."

Millicent took Henry's hand as he led her to his car, assisting her into the passenger seat before getting in on his side. "You know, I'm not sure I'll ever get used to being on the opposite side of the car here..."

Henry chuckled, his eyes filled with affection as he leaned over to kiss Millicent. He moaned softly, resting his forehead against hers. "Happy Valentine's Day, Shortcake." He set a box in her hand as she smiled, biting her lip.

"Henry..." She opened the box to find a pair of rose gold earrings in the shape of roses that matched the necklace he got for her for Christmas. "Oh, Henry! They're beautiful! Thank you!" She grabbed the back of his neck, pulling him into a hard, bruising kiss.

"You're welcome, Shortcake. Let's go." He kissed her once more before pulling off onto the road.

" He kissed her once more before pulling off onto the road

***

Henry gripped Millicent's waist, keeping her pulled tightly to his side as they entered the party. It was being held at a fancy hotel in downtown London and was popular among the college. He wasn't sure who would be there but knew he wanted to keep an eye on Millicent no matter what.

Abby approached them with a smile on her face and a tall, hulking blond guy on her arm. "Happy Valentine's Day, you two! I got us a table in the corner."

Millicent greeted her, hugging her friend before they followed them to the table. "Who's your date?"

"This is Bobby. I met him a few weeks ago at a coffee shop and asked him if he wanted to be my date. This is Milly and Henry. They go to school with me."

"Nice to meet you, Bobby..." Millicent looked him over, studying him as he blushed until Henry nudged her shoulder. "How old are you?"

"27... I work in finance and I think Abby is great. Can we stop talking about me now?"

Millicent laughed, nodding as she turned her attention to Henry as a waitress came over to take their drink orders. After ordering a few appetizers to split with the table and a few drinks, Henry stood up. He turned back to the table, offering his hand to Millicent which she accepted with a smile.

Henry led her to the dance floor and pulled her tight against his chest. He stared down at her as she rested a hand on his shoulder, her other hand in his. "You're by far the prettiest Valentine I've ever had."

Millicent giggled, sliding her hand up to the back of his head, and fiddling with his hair. "Oh yeah? And how many Valentine's have you had? I would bet I'm the first one..."

Henry scoffed, feigning offense with a laugh. "I'll have you know, my first Valentine was in Year 2, Caiti Paterson."

She grinned, nodding as she bit her lip. "Oh? Should I be jealous of little Caiti Paterson?"

"Well, she isn't little anymore. She's all grown and hot as fuck," he teased as she gasped, hitting his chest as he laughed. "Don't worry, Shortcake. You never have to be jealous of any other women. And I can't wait to get you home tonight."

"I expect you to make it worth my while..." she teases, releasing him to walk back toward the table as he follows. She took her seat he held out for her before he sat beside her.

"What are you doing to Kyle and Ben?" Abby blurted out as Millicent choked slightly on her drink. "Sorry," Abby mumbled as Henry handed a napkin to Millicent.

"I don't know what you're talking about." He glanced at Millicent to find her watching him. "Are you alright?"

She nodded as Abby continued with a scoff. "Oh come on. They're showing up late to class when they do actually go. And they're showing up late to practice and starting fights with everyone. I know you're doing something. They live for rugby."

Henry shrugged, a coy smile tugging at his lips as he took a sip of his drink. "Let's just call it plausible deniability, and drop it, Abs." He smiled at Millicent as she narrowed her eyes at him before turning back to Abby and Bobby, changing the subject.