Chapter 15: Hot Springs Disaster

A week later, Hisako and Neji found themselves at a local hot springs hotel that was located right outside the Leaf Village. They were given orders by the doctors that Hisako needed to relax if she was to extend her life. So, that's what Neji and she decided to do. Originally, she tried asking Sakura to go along with her for a girls' trip, but she was busy with other errands. That was when Neji stepped in.

"My mission is to protect you, Hisako," Neji insisted, "it's no secret that you are wanted on the black market. You shouldn't go to these places alone."

Hisako rolled her eyes, "Yes yes. You've told me that for the hundredth time! I'm not arguing that. What I'm arguing is what will this look like?"

"It will look like a teammate supporting his teammate while she's resting from a fatal injury," Neji retorted.

Hisako puffed out her cheeks, a bright blush forming. "Yeah, two teammates who seem to be madly in love,"

Neji tsked and turned his attention away to hide the blush forming on his cheeks as well. Hisako's chest constricted painfully and she grasped at her shirt coughing for breath, gasping in between coughs. Neji immediately looked up, holding Hisako up by her shoulders as she coughed.

"I'm also here to remind you to take your medicine," Neji said as soon as Hisako straightened up again.

Hisako stuck her tongue out at Neji as she walked into the hotel. If Neji and Hisako hadn't already shared rooms together on missions, this would have been odd. Granted, they shared a room with Guy Sensei and Lee too, so this was different considering it was just them in one room together, but, it still felt natural somehow.

They both dropped their bags into their hotel room. There were two rolled-up futons with blankets and pillows along the back wall, and the paper walls were decorated with images of white cranes and cherry blossom trees. Hisako's hand ran along the decor before turning back to Neji.

Neji threw a simple white robe in her direction. She caught it and tucked it under her arm as she followed Neji out of the room. They both went to their designated hot springs, one for the girls, and one for the boys. When Hisako got undressed, she dipped into the warm soothing waters and sighed in relief.

The water soaked away all of her worries, aches, and pains. She sunk down all the way to her chin, her hair fanning out around her in the clear water. The sounds of a waterfall nearby almost soothed Hisako to sleep. However, in the deep relaxation, she didn't realize that she was completely alone in the hot springs. And for these springs in particular, that was not a normal occurrence.

Over on the boys' side, Neji was soaking in the waters with the other men. His elbows were resting on the side of the pool, his eyes closed when he overheard a conversation between two men.

"I heard that there's a group of men coming around to different hot springs in the area and kidnapping women."

This grabbed Neji's attention and his eyes shot open as he turned his gaze in their direction.

"Yeah. I heard no one's been able to catch them yet. Glad my wife and daughter are safe at home. I stopped here on my way back from a trip,"

Neji swallowed slowly, his eyes darting to the wall that separated the two hot springs. He swam to the edge of the hot springs, slowly getting out so he wouldn't pass out from standing up from the springs too quickly.

That was when he heard a man shout from the girls' side, and then her blood curling scream broke through the wall, his name along with it. His heart raced. He didn't want to do it, he wanted to respect her privacy, but dammit if he was going to let anyone lay a finger on her! He lunged from the hot springs, grabbing a robe as he rushed for the girls' side of the springs.