Chapter 14: Family Reunion

The next day, Hisako met up with Sasuke for the first time since the incident. It was the first time Hisako felt well enough to face her cousin, especially after the interaction she had with him on that plateau.

She sat on a rock watching him perform the Chidori on a large boulder. There was so much pain and anger in his dark eyes as he continued to practice the technique over and over again.

"I heard a little about the fight with Gaara in the woods," Hisako finally said, breaking his concentration.

He stood up but didn't respond to her. Hisako pressed on.

"It seems like Naruto was the one who saved the day, huh?"

She heard Sasuke tsk, his head turned away from her. He said, "you should have seen him. The way he fought... I need to get stronger. I can't-I can never see my friends hurt like that again."

Hisako's eyes widened in both relief and surprise. "Sasuke, that... That type of philosophy. I've never heard you say something like that before."

His expression was sullen and dark shadows hung around his eyes. "Let's just stop training for today. I need to go talk to Kakashi Sensei,"

Hisako stood up from her rock. "Then I'll go too."

Hisako and Sasuke walked through the village together to Kakashi's small studio apartment. But, neither one expected what they walked into: An unconscious Kakashi on his bed with, three other Jonin responsible for the ninja squads standing guard around him.

Both Sasuke and Hisako gasped at the same time, Hisako covered her mouth.

"What's going on? Why's Kakashi asleep? And why are there three Jonin here?" Sasuke demanded as they both stepped into the room.

Hisako took a few more steps towards Kakashi Sensei, her mouth running dry. He wasn't just asleep; he was hurt. She wasn't sure how she knew, but she knew.

"Uh... Nothing really is going on," Guy Sensei stammered, and he stared hard at Hisako and Sasuke.

"Guy Sensei, something is going on," Hisako pressed, her lips in a fine line.

Out of nowhere, a Chuunin ran into the room shouting, "Hey! Is it true that Itachi Uchiha has returned? And that he's come here to get Naruto?"

Sasuke and Hisako both stood as still as statues. Guy Sensei hid his face in the palm of his hand and Kurenai Sensei closed her crimson eyes.

"Idiot," she muttered under her breath.

Hisako felt unbridled rage pouring off Sasuke like a tidal wave. She kept her breathing calm as she stared at her cousin, panic coursing through her. Itachi was back. Itachi. Was. Back. And... After Naruto? This wasn't good. None of this was good.

Sasuke bolted from the room and despite Hisako's injuries, despite the strain physical activities caused to her body, Hisako chased after him. They had the same thought, even if they had different motives: Get to Naruto; protect Naruto. But, while Sasuke wanted to kill Itachi, Hisako wanted to talk with Itachi. She had to. Even after all these years, she still couldn't shake the feeling that Itachi was innocent.

Sasuke went to Naruto's apartment first, Hisako close to him. The doctors never said she couldn't exercise, just that it wasn't good for her heart. And in this instance, consequences be damned, Naruto's safety far outweighed her comfort.

Naruto's door was unlocked and as Sasuke opened it, Sakura stumbled out of Naruto's apartment.

"Sasuke! Hisako! What-"

"Where's Naruto?" Sasuke demanded, startling Sakura.

"I-I don't know-"

Sasuke took off again and Hisako didn't have time to explain anything to her friend before chasing after Sasuke again.