Safe and Sound

11 July 74PD

All 25 mentors in the viewing room watch their screens closely as the 24 tributes run in different directions as the countdown ends. Small sighs periodically sound from around the room as mentors begin losing their tributes to the Bloodbath. The clashing sound of metal is clearly conveyed by the myriad of microphones and cameras that are in the arena. Luna tries her best to tune out the sounds of weapons, the cries of tributes as they die, and shouts of mentors cheering on their own. She finds it easiest to ignore the games until the Bloodbath is coming to an end, as witnessing so many deaths in quick succession can be triggering for her.

The redhead holds her breath as her young male tribute makes his way towards the exit of the Cornucopia, thinking the coast is clear. Unbeknownst to him, the Careers are still there, ready to get one final kill before the Bloodbath portion of the games comes to an end. A gasp escapes the girl's lips as Ajax, the boy Luna has met once before, swings his sword towards the boy, in the area of his neck.

Taking deep breaths, Luna desperately tries not to break down as her tribute's death reminded her so much of Jonah's. A sigh sounds from her ex boyfriend who is sitting beside her. He signals to an Avox for a drink then places his hand gently on Luna's shoulder.

"Luna, are you okay?" He questions, "You can take a moment outside if you need one, I can keep an eye on Marina for you."

"Firstly, I'm fine." The girl spits, not even bothering to look at the man beside her. "Secondly, I don't need your comfort. I don't need you, end of."

"Luna, come on, I'm trying to be here for you,"

"I don't need you to be here for me. You lost the privilege of being in my life, being someone I trust, when you decided to sl-"

Finnick quickly cuts the girl off, not wanting anyone around them to hear what he did. "I know I fucked up, and I don't expect you to forgive me, but at least let me comfort you."

"No. Now if you don't mind I'm going to get a drink. And before you ask, it's only going to be water." She rolls her eyes as she walks off.

——————————

13 July 74PD

Luna takes her seat beside President Snow at the long table in the center of the Gamemakers Quarters. Snow has invited the girl to the meeting he is having with the Gamemakers now that this year's games are underway. 

"Ah, Lucy, you look absolutely beautiful today. You truly are living up to your nickname, you look as amazing as a star." The President smiles, then gently places his hand on top of the girl's.

Luna notices the other men in the room share confused looks as they notice that the President used the wrong name for the girl. However, none of the men have balls big enough to correct the man, and so, pretend nothing happened.

"Coriolanus, I've told you many times you flatter me far too much." Luna laughs. "You don't need to compliment me to keep me on your side."

"That's good to know, Luna." The man nods.

"Excuse me, Mr Crane?" Luna looks up and sees one of the Gamemaker's assistants standing beside the man. She holds a tablet in front of him and points to the screen. "She's almost at the edge of the arena."

"Oh well. She'll either starve to death, or if she lives it'll drag the games out longer."

"Seneca, if she dies I want it to be entertaining for my people. No one likes an underdog." President Snow speaks, his tone bordering anger.

"I do, and with all due respect, President Snow, so do you. I only see one specific victor being invited to all our meetings." Luna feels shame rise in her as Seneca points out Snow's evident preferential treatment towards her. Towards an underdog.