The Odds

04 July 70PD

Luna smooths down the bottom of her pale blue dress as her mother rushes her out the door.

"Luna, we cannot be late to the reaping." Her mother hisses. It is Friday July 4th, Reaping Day, and Luna is ready for her second to last day standing in the town square, praying her name isn't called. Despite technically being considered a career, most of District 4 do not see being a Tribute as an honour to bring to their District, they see it as a death sentence. Luna cannot think of anything worse than the thought of being placed into one of those arenas, and how anyone can view the games as a form of entertainment is beyond her.

"Mother, for the millionth time, we will not be late." Luna sighs, exasperated from her mother's nervous behaviour all morning. She has given her daughter at least 15 embraces already, reminded her she loves her countless times, and hasn't let the girl out of her sight. Luna adores her parents more than anything in the world, but in the lead up to Reaping day they become more and more attached to the girl.

"I know. I'm sorry sweetheart, it's just, you know how much I hate today." She frowns.

"I know, but I'm seventeen now. I just have to get through today, and next year, then we are fine. Just be glad I'm an only child, imagine if I had siblings." Luna jokes, trying to lighten the mood.

"All the more reason to be worried, sweetheart, I can't lose you." Her mother speaks as she places her arm around Luna, and kisses her temple.

The pair begin to make their way to the District 4 Square where the Reaping takes place. Luna's father had been in their family's shop early that morning, and so he had agreed to meet them there.

"How are you feeling about seeing Finnick again?"

"It's been years, mom, I'm past the point of being sad that we lost touch. He's a Victor now, he doesn't really have the spare time to see me."

"Yes he does, sweetie. If he's at home, he spends most of his time with Mrs Flanagan. I'm sure both of them would love to see you more often."

"Fine..." Luna sighs, "If I'm not reaped, I promise I'll go visit them both when they're back from this year's games."

"Oh, perfect!" Luna's mother gushes, holding her daughter's hand. "You know you miss him. You can't deny it."

A blush creeps its way over Luna's cheeks and she lets out a small laugh, "Shhhh".

As they reach the square, Luna takes small, shuffle-like steps toward the check in tables.

"Next, please." A peacekeeper says clearly, yet in monotone. She takes a step forward so she is standing in front of the desk and holds her hand forward with her pointer finger out. The peacekeeper pricks Luna's finger, causing a small droplet of blood to begin forming at the opening of the wound. No matter how many times she has this done, it doesn't stop hurting. The peacekeeper forcefully places her finger onto the paper to transfer the blood droplet then scans it. "You're checked in. Next, please."

Luna walks slowly to the group of her fellow 17 year old girls, and stands at the end of a row. She doesn't have a huge amount of friends, or any friends really, so she often spends this portion of the day alone. When she was 12, she had Finnick Odair. He may not have been her friend, but he cared for her, and wanted to make sure she was okay. She can still vividly remember the relief that washed over his face when her name wasn't called, followed by the fear that filled his eyes when his name was. Since his victory, Finnick spends the reaping at the back of the stage so she isn't able to catch his eye and get the same comfort she did all those years ago even if she wanted to - which to be clear she did not. He still tries to lock eyes with Luna every year, hoping to bring the girl any sort of comfort he can, but her gaze constantly avoids his. She knows if she meets his stare she'll break down, letting her tears flow in front of everyone.