Drowning on Dry Land

14 July 70PD

Luna blinks rapidly, allowing her eyes to adjust to the natural light, as the exit ramp lowers on the hovercraft. She slowly walks towards Finnick, Mags, and Ophelia, who are all eagerly awaiting her return. Landing on top of the tribute centre was not ideal for Luna, who is not the biggest fan of heights, however, she was just thankful to be out of that disgusting arena, surrounded by death.

"Welcome back, Luna, I've missed you" Mags smiles, opening her arms to allow Luna to embrace her in her own time. Mags understands that Luna will not be fully comfortable around them now she's home, the games having completely shattered any trust she may have previously had. Luna slowly took small steps forward, and stiffly placed her arms around the elderly woman.

"I'm just happy that I am out of hell..." Luna sighs.

Truthfully, all Luna can picture is herself clinging to a tree whilst waiting for the arena to be drained. She was so confused as she couldn't see the bodies, but as the water level lowered she realised that the bodies had sank. When the water was low enough, she could see that the lips of the tributes near her were blue. They were soaked through, deprived of oxygen... dead. She couldn't take her eyes away from the bodies on the floor, even when she could hear the hovercraft approach.

"I know, sweetie, but we are here to support you now. I promise, although it doesn't go away, it gets easier." Mags smiles, attempting to reassure the younger girl embracing her.

"Mrs Flanagan" the head peacekeeper pulls Mags' attention away from Luna, "please can I have a word with you in private?" He asks.

"Of course, Luna, I will be back shortly and we can get you to your room." Mags holds Luna's arms gently before walking off with the peacekeeper.

Mags knew this wasn't a good sign, the head peacekeeper wanting to discuss something with her, in private, as soon as the victor had returned from the arena. She gently fiddled with the cuff of her sleeve, anxious to have this discussion.

"President Snow has requested that Luna has a psych evaluation. He understands that the events she witnessed involving her tribute partner may have been very traumatic for Miss Crawford, and so, he would like the evaluation to ensure the Capitol can provide the appropriate level of care and assistance moving forwards." The man informs Mags.

"A psych evaluation?" Mags repeats in disbelief. "We all witnessed traumatic things in our games, now I'm not denying this may be beneficial for Luna, but why is her case different to the rest of us?"

"Unfortunately, I am unsure of the specifics regarding President Snow's decision, however, if I was to hazard a guess, I would assume it's regarding the brutality of the natural disaster she experienced, that is uncommon in most games." The peacekeeper replied.

"Okay, I understand, please can I be the one to inform Luna of this decision?" Mags asks, knowing Luna would only be receptive to this information coming from her.

"Of course, President Snow suggested that too." He nods, then leaves, allowing Mags to return to Luna and the rest of her team.

"Right, Luna, let's get you back to our floor. You can have a nice bath and change into some fresh clothes. I'll request that the staff make your favourite for dinner." Mags smiles, taking Luna's hand gently in hers and leads her down to the roof's exit.

Once in her room, Luna took the time to appreciate the small luxuries she took for granted the last time she was here. The softness of the silk sheets that adorned the bed. The fresh sea-salt smell that filled the air, reminding her of her secret spot on the beach back home. The patterns that are engraved in the nightstand beside her bed. Then, Luna took notice of the latest edition to her room, a dozen snow-white roses in a crystal-clear glass vase. A gift that had clearly come from President Snow himself. The man that Luna had started off hating, and had now finished her experience in the Capitol completely loathing. A man who got complete joy from the slaughter of 23 children a year. A cruel, sadistic dictator, who was the subject of all of Luna's murderous fantasies as of late. Luna did not want anyone else to die, except their pathetic excuse of a President, she would happily make a sport of his death.