Questions and Cocktails

30 January 71PD

District 2 is unlike anything Luna has ever seen, and she has been to the Capitol. It is uniform and plain, and feels very military-like. The rest of her Victory Tour has gone off without a hitch, but Luna has a bad feeling now she is in the Career Districts. No one here believes she should have won. They are going to stare and judge her the entire time she is on stage. The girl is not ready to face that, not yet, but she has to.

Ophelia is straightening out Luna's jacket, fussing around to make sure everything looks camera ready before she heads out on stage. Winter in District 2 means snow. Snow means that Luna is in many layers of clothing ready for her appearance outside.

"Remember, shoulders back, chin up, speak clearly, and read the cards. Say nothing more." The escort instructs the girl sternly, afraid of the consequences if she goes off script here or in District 1.

"Yes, Ophelia. I know the drill." The girl mumbles out her response.

"Good. Remember you only need to get through today and District 1, then we get the lavish party at the Presidential Palace."

"Oh yay, I can't wait." Luna responds, her voice dripping with sarcasm. Finnick lets out a chuckle at the girl, attempting to cover it up with a cough.

"Drop the sarcasm before you get on stage. Please. Anywhere else I wouldn't have cared, but not here." Ophelia pleads as she pushes Luna towards the doors gently.

As the doors swing open, Ophelia and Finnick step out of view, and Luna puts a small smile on her face, walking out onto the stage. A small, pale girl with dark brown hair approaches her holding a bouquet of flowers. Smiling more, the Victor crouches to the girl's level, not wanting to look down on the child, and takes the bouquet from the small gloved hands.

"I am really sorry about your friend." The young girl looks Luna in the eyes as she speaks. A wave of sadness takes over her body as the young girl speaks to her about Jonah.

"Thank you. And thank you for my flowers, they are almost as beautiful as you." She gives the girl one last smile before standing back to her usual height and walking to the microphone.

"Firstly, I'd like to thank you all for coming out today. I know that the temperature is currently in the negatives, so I really appreciate you all being here. As you all already know, I was not close with either of your tributes. I did not have the privilege of knowing them like you and their families did, but I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your sacrifice. I am sure that both your tributes fought with strength and honour until the end. I look forward to meeting the tributes you put forward for next year's games." Luna takes a deep breath before continuing, knowing full well what she says next is a life.

"President Snow has told me, in depth, about how courageous and strong your Tributes were, and he would like me to pass on his thanks for the goods and services that you provide the Capitol. Panem today, Panem tomorrow, Panem forever." As Luna finishes her speech, she takes a moment to look at the screens displaying the faces of the fallen tributes, then exits the stage.

The second the doors shut behind her, Finnick runs up to the girl in a visually panicked state.

"When did Snow come to see you again? What did he say in your meeting? You need to tell me everything right now." The concern in Fininick's voice worries Luna, but she brushes it off and reassures him.

"It was a lie, Finnick. I had to kiss ass somehow and that was all I could come up with in the moment? Now if you'll excuse me I have a Q&A to get to." She hugs the boy gently before walking past him towards the designated conference room.