The Sound of Silence

05 April 71PD

Finnick had sent Luna a letter during her last few days in the Capitol. It explained that he had something to attend to back in Four, and that he would be traveling home immediately, without her. That is why Luna is currently sitting on the train, alone. Thankfully for her, she had slept for the majority of her journey, exhausted from her various parties and functions in the Capitol.

As they move along the shoreline, Luna stares out the window and watches as the waves break against the shoreline. She misses the  tranquility the water used to bring her, in its place fear now stands, sending endless amounts of adrenaline throughout her body. She knows that, one day, she will be able to bring herself to go in the water again, but for now, she's content just watching it from afar.

Once the train comes to a stop, Luna ensures one of the Avox's has her luggage, then makes her way out to the station. She had expected Finnick and Mags to be standing, waiting for her, with smiles on their faces, but they are not there.

Did Finnick regret everything? Luna's negative thoughts take over her mind. Does he hate me? He probably never wants to see me again.

Luna is quick to take notice of the fact that only one person is waiting for the girl; Ven. Despite being thrilled to see the girl back home, concern is the only expression on his face. As the girl approaches him, he embraces her then places a hand on her upper arm.

"Luna, I need for you not to panic when I tell you this."

"Wha- you're scaring me, Ven. What's going on? Where are Finnick and Mags?"

Oh my god. They hate me, don't they? They've decided I'm too much to put up with after my games and don't want to see me again.

"Mags is in the hospital. Luna, she had a stroke."

As the man spoke, the voices in Luna's mind went silent, and it felt as if all the air had been sucked out of her lungs. Once again, everything she knows as normal is shattering around her and she can do nothing to prevent or delay it.

"Mags?" Luna's voice is barely audible as she utters the woman's name. "Mags is in the hospital?"

"Yes... a few days ago she had a stroke. She can't talk anymore, Luna."

"I need to see her. Now." The young girl couldn't bring herself to cry. Mags needs her in this moment and she'll be damned if she's going to cry and let her own messed up emotions get in the way of that. The man gives a nod in response and takes the girl to the small, run down hospital in their District.

As Luna and Ven enter the room, Finnick looks up from the book on his lap and moves his hand to do a sign gesture. His hand starts under his chin and pushes forward until it is out in front of him. Luna could not believe her eyes.

"Finnick!" She snaps, scolding her boyfriend. "Why are you saying that to Mags?"

His head snaps up to look at the girl, a bewildered look on his face, but also slight fear in his eyes as the shouting causes him to jump.

"Wha- what?" He stutters. "I was teaching Mags the sign for 'thank you'?"

The redhead takes a moment to process his words before she begins to laugh softly. "Finnick, sweetie, you just signed 'Fuck you' to her!"

Ven begins to laugh hysterically, and at the same time the elderly lady in the hospital bed lets out a silent snicker. Finnick's skin pales and he looks to Mag, his eyes wide and face full of worry.

"Mags I am so sorry! I'd never dream of being so disrespectful to you!"

Mags places her and on his gently and shakes her head, showing it didn't matter, and that she found the entire situation amusing.

Luna takes the time to show Finnick how to correctly sign 'thank you' then sits down on the edge of Mags' bed.

"I actually know sign language, I learnt it years back to read to one of the deaf children. Why don't I teach you?" The redhead smiles at the elderly woman in the hospital bed. It is at this moment that Luna takes notice of the number machines that Mags is hooked up to. She's not sure what she expected, given that the woman had a stroke less than a week ago, but this wasn't it. Blinking rapidly, Luna tries her hardest to not let her eyes water, despite the empty pit feeling in her stomach.

"So, how was your time in the Capitol, Luna?" Ven smiles, it's evident from his tone that he has no idea what happened with her and Finnick, but Mags clearly does by the small snicker she lets out.

"Oh, well it was rather mundane if I'm honest. Snow had me attend a fair few parties, I got to meet the game makers, I stayed in the Palace. The usual I guess."

"Sorry you met the game makers? And you stayed in the Palace? Luna that isn't 'the usual' none of us ever got that." As Ven explains this to the girl, the other 2 present victors shake their heads, signifying that they didn't have that either.

"Wait what? I assumed Snow invited every new Victor for this... I did think it was weird I didn't just have a hotel, but I assume the rest was normal."

"Nope. It seems our esteemed President might have a new favourite." Ven lets out a laugh as he speaks.

The thought of that just makes Luna's skin crawl. Snow made her skin crawl.

——————————

The sound of footsteps running along the wooden floors rings around the house as Reef excitedly runs into Mags' house head of Luna.

"Mags, look what I made you!" The child excitedly holds up a home made get well soon card to the woman.

Mags takes the card and reads it, then places her hand on Reef's shoulder and smiles in an effort to thank her.

Bewildered, Reef looks at Finnick and Luna. "Why won't Mags speak to me? Did I do something wrong?"

Mags frowns as she hears the sadness in the girl's voice.

"No, not at all." Luna picks the girl up and smiles. "You know how I told you that Mags was sick, well her sickness means she can't talk anymore. But don't worry, I'm teaching her how to speak with her hands."

Reef looks at Mags then back at Luna. "With her hands?"

"Yes, sweetie. And I can teach you it too, so you can understand her."

The trio of adults spend the rest of the day teaching the child some basic words and phrases in sign language. Luna is impressed at how quickly the girl is picking it up, and knows it will be easy to teach her some of the more complex ones soon.