Look What You Made Me Do

05 July 74PD

Luna is sitting on her couch with her knees up at her chest. Her left hand playing with the hem of her top, her right holding a bottle of liquor. She is already past the point of tipsy, but she doesn't care. The night before she had gotten a total of 2 hours sleep; she must have woken up screaming at least 6 times. The images of Jonah's head hitting the floor repeating in her mind, even after she had woken from her nightmares. The pool of blood so vivid in her memory she could almost smell it.

Although nightmares plagued her sleep constantly, they were always worse when she was in the Capitol. Being dragged back to the vile city each year to be a mentor is really taking a toll on the girl now. Luna had excused herself from attending the annual mentor and prep team dinner, choosing to drink alone in the floor four living room instead. Finnick was now on his way back to the floor, accompanied by Haymitch.

"I know it's hard, and she probably won't take it well, but you can't keep hiding this from her." Haymitch reasons with the youngest ever victor about telling his girlfriend that the President was selling him to members of the Capitol's elite. Finnick had confided in Haymitch with this information during the last games. He believes he can fully trust Haymitch as Luna does, and Luna is not a very trusting person.

"I know, Haymitch, I know. I'm just scared of losing her." Finnick frowns, letting out a small sigh.

"Look, Luna is a very understanding person. It will definitely take her some time but she'll understand soon enough."

"I suppose you're right." Finnick nods.

Before long the pair have reached the floor for four, and they share a look of worry as they hear screaming coming from the inside. Finnick glances at Haymitch, worry plastered across his face, as the elevator doors slowly open.

They are greeted by the redhead on the couch, rocking back and forth. One of her arms is hugging her knee tightly whilst the other is tangled in the hair at the side of her head pulling. Haymitch takes a moment to take in the scene, a ¾ finished bottle of liquor smashed on the floor, half the furniture overturned and not in the right place, and the sobbing girl. His heart ached for the young girl. She has experienced so much trauma in her short life, and, thanks to a silly joke he made, she had turned to alcohol to help her survive, just like he had.

"Luna..." Finnick begins, "Luna it's me... hey you're okay, you're safe. I'm here... I'm going to hug you okay?" He pauses, waiting for the girl to nod before he continues. She does, and so he moves and wraps his arm around the girl. She slowly calms down and stops crying, but Finnick's heart stops at what he hears next.

"Finnick... what is that?" Luna spits, poking the boy's chest.

Shit. Finnick thinks. I thought this shirt covered the love bites.

Luna scoffs and pushes the boy, moving so she is standing.

"So what? You're just whoring around with Capitol citizens now? I thought you loved me." Luna is sure she can feel her heart break at the discovery she has just made, but also at the way that Finnick's entire face drops and pain that reflects in his eyes.

"No, Luna I-" Finnick cuts himself of and snaps his head so he is looking to Haymitch who is still positioned in the doorway. "Did you tell her? I told you that in confidence!"

Haymitch does not have a chance to respond as Luna looks at him with tears in her eyes. "You knew? You knew and you didn't tell me?" Luna cannot believe that 2 of the 3 men she actually trusts near her had betrayed her in such a vile manner. "Finnick, you can stay with Haymitch tonight. Get out."