Chapter 33

Within seconds, emotions swept through Nightjar like a gust of wind so sudden and powerful that she lost her rationality. From hope, she went to joy, then to fear to end with an extreme feeling anger. Nothing seemed to make sense anymore. Seeing Coyot subdue what she now supposed to be her mother had the hybrid beside herself. It was even the mere sight of her enemy that disgusted her. She no longer felt an ounce of compassion for him; she deemed him more worthy. But she couldn't say a word.

"I never thought I'd see you again you nosy bastard," sneered with bitter the sandwing.

- Shut up, you snake ! yelled Maple in place of his companion.

- Well what, have you lost your wagging tongue at the point this feckless steal your words ? It's a shame if you want to say something to your last parent," he said, tightening his grip around Mist's neck. "Oh, but I'd forgotten ! She wouldn't be able to answer you, she lost the use of speech a long time ago. She too had a wandering tongue and paid the price. Like mother, like daughter, I suppose !". Coyot laughed out loud at his own trivial and tasteless joke. "I didn't miss her voice.

- You prick !

- You can laugh, but have you seen the state you're in ? You're pathetic," retorted Dandelion, stepping forward, making fly a bit the sand. "It almost commands respect that you survived that explosion.

- I'll take that as a compliment, offspring of Tulip.

- Wha...? Did you know my parents ? Did you still have the dignity to know who you have ruined the life of and killed ?

- Of course I did. In fact, their loans had dug a big hole in the treasury. They never came back with the money they owed. But today, it doesn't represent anything, a bit like your family after all.

- I forbid you to insult them !

- Or what ? You'll throw yourself at me ? Go ahead, try it, and I'll take her life in return". The machete began to sink into Mist's scales, and she let out a cry of weakness.

"Let her go..., Nightjar murmured.

- I thought I heard something...

- I TOLD YOU TO LET HER GO !

- Your daughter is rude. Did you hear that ? he asked to Mist with a fake sad face. Didn't you have time to teach her some manners ? Oh I also forgot that you left her like a coward..."

Nightjar never thought she wanted anyone dead so much. She was angry both at Coyot and at her own impotence and uselessness. She was distraught to see her mother so pathetically and undignifiedly subjugated by this horrible character. What's more, the mad dragon seemed to really enjoy torturing Fatality's family. The hybrid thought she heard him yelp like a hyena, which disgusted her.

"I'd love to burn your face !

- You've already done enough damage to me with your suicide bombing. A real stab in the back, but it wasn't enough to kill me...

- You should have died a long time ago, NOT MY FATHER!

- Why are you so interested in something that happened so long ago ? Why do you want to know your father so much ?

- Because I care about him, I care about his history and his memory !

- Don't give me that empty lesson of rhetoric as an excuse.

- And for what else would I do all this ?!

- Calm down, Nightjar," Maple interrupted, coming between them. "He's provoking you for his own amusement, so pull yourself together. We've all got a grudge against him, but we've got your mother to think of first. One false step and the sand will turn red".