Chapter 23

Allie

"He's been playing really well tonight." Rose comments as she watches her son speed down the rink with the puck, passing it to Seth.

"It's because Allies here. She's his good luck charm." Claire shrugs, her face buttery from the popcorn we all got.

Rose leans close to me, making sure Claire who is sitting on my other side can't hear her.

"Allie, I just wanted to say thank you for giving Claire that sweatshirt. She's never going to take it off."

We both glance at her, the sweatshirt hugging her whole as she tucks her knees inside, and I laugh.

"I also wanted to thank you for bringing Noah back to life. I couldn't believe how happy he sounded when he called me a few weeks back. He sounded like he's old self before the fans and cameras became to much for him."

Rose tells me, like it's the most casual thing to say but I immediately freeze.

What happened?

"I'm really happy with him, Mrs. Carter. He's an amazing person. You should be really proud."

She blinks rapidly like she's trying to stop tears, a smile playing on her lips as she sighs.

"I'm just glad he met someone just as amazing."

Now it's my turn to blink back tears.

Noah

Price George lost. Their coach sucks ass and the goalie can't even skate.

After I thanked my mom and sister for coming down to watch, they started their drive back to their hotel and then they head home in the morning.

Allie's been extremely quiet on the way back to her apartment, her knees tucked to her chest as she watches the passing buildings out the window.

It has something to do with her teammate.

I know it does.

I watched Allies face crumple when her teammate came up behind her and pointed me out in the crowd.

I even saw her wipe a tear away.

Parking, neither of us moves until Allie turns on one of the lights when I turn off the car.

"Noah, your mom said something but I don't know if-if you wanted me to know. Or not yet, anyway. She said something about how she's really happy that your happy because of what happened with the fans and cameras."

Allie whispers, so lightly I almost don't hear her. She sounds scared, like I'm going to get mad at her for asking.

I should have known my mom would spill something like this, she's always had a big blabber mouth.

"You don't have to tell me. Whenever you feel your ready. It doesn't have to be today either-"

"No. It's okay. I want to tell you."

I want to tell her. I want to tell her because she actually cares.

She cares about me.

Her eyes are wide with emotion as she watches me patiently, her small hand moving to lay in mine.

I clear my throat before saying,

"It was about six months after my aunt died so Claire was still not talking a lot. She said a word here and there but that was it. During that time, I was in the process of getting an award from the Canada Hockey League for some goal I scored a few months back. That's when people started to notice me. Not as a person, as a hockey player. People started following me everywhere. To my apartment, practice, even when I was just driving around town."