Chapter 9

Allie

The apartment feels empty without Kyla and Seth, usually they fill it with mess and laughter.

They've been gone for two weeks now, still stuck in the interior due to the snow caving them in.

Literally.

His car is under almost 5 feet of snow and all the doors and window on the house are sealed shut.

Fortunately for Seth, his coach has been really understanding of why he hasn't been able to play because he also has family up there.

And I'm stuck with pouring rain and wet socks.

Finals are coming up, so Noah and I haven't really seen each other tons.

I kinda miss watching comedies every night before bed.

The rumours about us dating are still the only thing campus is talking about.

What's so infuriating about it is that they make me look like the bad guy.

Like I'm not worthy.

Like I'm not worth Noah's time and effort.

They're obviously not very good at their job if they still have figured out we're roommates.

Noah hasn't said anything about the accusations.

I can see he's making an effort of small talk when we do run into each other when I'm running out the door and he's just coming in.

He's made dinner a few nights, even waited until I got home from classes to eat with me at the table.

Hell, he even brought me an ice pack for my knee one day because he saw me limping.

And one day, I'll make sure he knows how much those actions mean to me.

"The team and I were going to go to Shaw's for a few hours. Want to come?"

I am currently curled up on the couch, with a book and watching The Office with an iced chai tea latte in hand.

Do I look like I want to go to a bar?

The answer is no.

But it's Monday, which means group counselling is happening tonight at the library downtown.

They rent out a room in the library so people who have triggers in public places can get used to being in one.

"Actually, do you think you could drive me to the library near the Tim Hortons?"

Noah ponders as if he's trying to remember which library I'm talking about and then nods.

"Do you need a ride back? It's going to be dark soon and I don't want you walking back here that late."

I feel my eyebrows rise slightly at his concern.

"Th-that would be great. I'll make dinner tomorrow then."

He nods, his face not giving anything away.

I throw on some jeans and a sweater, grab my keys and pepper spray and meet Noah by the door where he's waiting.

"You ready?"

I give him a nod of the head.

Group counselling is sorrowful. There are about ten people who come and sit on plastic chairs while two counsellors gently nudge us into sharing our stories.

So far, only four people have shared their trauma and how it effects them even years after.

"For some people, trauma follows them the rest of their lives and that's okay. You went through an event that you will not suddenly forget overnight. And it's okay to need help as well."