Chapter 6

Allie

The coffee shop is quiet when I get there around 5, leaving me half an hour to chill before Noah arrives.

It would have taken me about 20 minutes to walk home but I've sworn off walking this late since it's starting to get darker faster and because I live in Vancouver, the only weather we have is pouring rain.

I sit down with my chai tea in the corner of the shop, looking out onto the street.

People are walking their dogs, dodging puddles and smiling to their friends as the walk past.

It's calming to see others so happy.

Ding!

I look down at my phone, and swallow.

Allie Wes,
Our sessions are Mondays and Wednesdays from 5-6. There are about 9 other people who attend and we are all welcoming to new people! Hope to see you there.

-Vancouver Counselling Group

I don't type a reply but I do make note of the session tomorrow. Training ends at 1 and I only have classes till 4:30 so there's so reason for me not to go.

Will they make me talk about it?

Will they judge me?

I'll be okay.

Hopefully.

I do some homework until quarter to 5, wondering if Noah's captain held them behind.

People start filing in, the line out the door and onto the street. For a coffee shop that's run by the college, it does pretty well.

But that's when two of the three guys that were dropping off Noah's equipment walk through the door and notice me almost immediately.

With shaking hands, I quickly start throwing things into my backpack, my ocd out the window.

The two of them slid into the seats across from me, barely being able to fit into the booth because they are so big.

"We didn't catch your name last time, lovely."

The taller one tells me, with a sloppy grin on his face.

"And your not going to catch it this time either."

Slinging my backpack over my shoulder, I go to leave but the one grabs my wrist, holding me as I tight as he can.

I can feel my heartbeat in my ears.

"Let me fucking go."

I try to twist my wrist out of his hand but his hand is twice the size of mine.

"I will scream if you don't let me go."

They both raise an eyebrow like they don't believe me.

Big mistake.

I fucking scream.

Scream on top of my lungs.

That's when he looks over his shoulder, blinks and lets my wrist go.

My breathes are heavy, like they are dragging in and out of me.

"Did you fucking touch her?"

To late for the last moment, Noah towers over me from behind, which does not help my breathing.

"Nah, we were just fooling around." The short one tells him.

His dick is probably the size of-

"Did. You. Touch. Her?"

The tall one nods slowly and that's when hell rises from below.

Noah swings, hitting his own teammate straight in the nose, sending him flying back onto shortie.

I almost smile.

"If coach asks about your nose, what are you going to tell him?"

Tall dude's nostrils flare but he says,

"That I ran into a door."

Some door he ran into.

Noah gives a slight nod, then very gently grabs my other wrist and leads me out of the shops door. No one seems bothered by the scene he caused, almost likes it's normal for people to be throwing punches over coffee.

"Here."

Noah opens an umbrella I didn't remember him having and holds it over both of our heads until we reach his truck and he opens the door for me.

He's got some good manners, I note.

when he's not throwing punches or being a grumpy puss.

So, never.

"Are you okay? I- I heard a scream and-"

"I'm fine."

Not completely a lie but hopefully enough to get him off my back.

I'm just more confused on why no one thought to check on a girl screaming in a coffee shop.

To busy on their phones I guess.

It's pitch black as we drive through the city, the traffic horrendous. Noah's truck makes me feel cozy and safe in the dark, which I usually hate.

Yes, I still sleep with a nightlight and yes it's Tinker-bell.

"Is your wrist okay?"

Noah breaks the silence as he talks over the rain pounding on the windshield.

I inspect my left wrist, there's some redness and there will be some bruising but I'll survive.

"It's good." I try to smile at him but I can guarantee it turned out sloppy and sad like I just dropped my ice cream.

His lips turn into a fine line but he doesn't push and I'm thankful for that.

We drive for a few more minutes until I point out that he missed the turn to the apartment.

"I figured we could grab something to eat. We both had practice today and I know I'm starving. Whatever you want. It's on me."

And for the first time I've known him, he smiles.

It's not big, it's more of a soft, nudging smile that makes me want to see if I can make him smile even bigger.

"I-is Subway okay with you? I like the salads they make."

I whisper, not knowing what to say if he doesn't like it because at the moment, I can only handle a salad.

"It's like you read my mind."

Shit. Did I just blush?

And that's how we end up with two foot longs for him and a salad for me as we sit on opposite ends of the couch and watch Modern Family.