Chapter 10

Noah

Watching Allie stare at my tattoos made me need to take a nice cold shower after.

A very long, cold shower.

I haven't seen her in almost a week, with finals coming up and training.

Seth and I have been in Edmonton for a game for the past few days and Allies been in Iowa competing as well.

"Hey! Are you watching breaking bad without me?" Allie asks me over the phone, her tone playful.

I don't remember who called who but we've been talking for over 20 minutes.

In the past few weeks, Allie's opened up to me more and vice versa. As she likes to say, "I'm becoming the Stanley to her Phyllis."

Which I learned later after watching the show more was because Stanley is extremely grumpy and Phyllis is extremely happy.

Leading up to today, we've been watching our comedies a lot together, and she's even asked me a couple times if I could pick her up when it gets dark.

"Maybe."

The gasp that follows makes me chuckle.

"I guess that I'll just have to turn on Modern Family." She jokes back.

It's my turn to fake gasp.

"I'll turn it off right now." I quickly say.

She snickers and we fall into a comfortable silence.

"What are you doing for Christmas?" I ask after awhile.

"Nothing."

"Are you going back with Kyla?"

"She's going to Seth's parents. I probably could tag along but now that they are officially dating it feels weird. I'll probably just stay at the apartment, train and then eat Christmas dinner at that little diner down the street."

And she sounds almost happy to spend it alone. Like she's used to it.

"That sounds sad." I tell her.

I can practically hear her shrugging.

"What are you doing? I hear Coach is giving you guys like five days off. That's awesome."

It's true. Five days is the most I've ever seen a coach give his players.

Probably because he made plans to go to Mexico back in the spring.

"I'll probably go to my parents. They live in a town called Mission. It's about thirty minutes away, maybe an hour."

"How olds your sister? You said you watch The summer I Turned Pretty so you can have something in common with her."

I'm surprised she remembered that.

"Claire's 13 but she has the dirtiest mind I've ever seen someone have. That child has no filter."

"I learned my dirty mind from The Simpsons. And maybe Seth. My parents never let me watch all that kid cartoon crap they watch now. Oh! I have to leave for the arena but I'll see you tomorrow at the apartment, right?"

She gasps, almost like she forgot the time.

"Yeah, I'll be there. Good luck."

"Thanks," she whispers and then the line goes dead.

Kyla's sitting on the couch when we walk in, hauling our shit behind us.

"Oh. It's only you guys." She gives us an eye roll and then goes back to scrolling through Netflix.

"Allies not here yet?" I blurt out. I can feel my neck turn red when both Seth and Kyla turn to look at me with raised eyebrows.

"Does someone have a crush?" Kyla snorts.

I don't deny it.

"You're not excited to see me?" Seth playfully pouts at Kyla, which she answers by raising her eyebrow with a smile.

I bet if it weren't for the clothes separating them, they would be making out like dogs right now.

I shower, change and throw a load of laundry in and glancing at my phone that says it's quarter to eight, Allie should be back by-

"Oh! Looks like we both got the same idea."

My breathe leaves my lungs at the familiar voice, and my shoulders sag in relief.

Allie stands there looking like a fucking goddess who doesn't even know it. Her hand is planted on her hip as she playfully taps her foot.

The gold hair that usually brushes her elbows is pulled behind her head in a low ponytail, being held with a blue ribbon.

And fuck me, she has dimples.

Dimples.

She's wearing a grin that spreads from ear to ear that I just want to kiss.

Dimples.

I wanna kiss them.

What the hell was that?

"Noah? Are you okay? Your staring."

The smile is gone, her forehead creased with concern as she pokes my forehead.

Actually pokes my forehead.

I blink, finally realizing that I've been staring for far too long.

My fists clench by my sides to stop them from tucking the strand of hair that's gotten loose in front of her face behind her ear.

Crap.

"How was Iowa?"

She shrugs, suddenly closed off likes he doesn't want to talk about it.

"Fine."

"Did you win?" I try to lighten the mood that has suddenly darkened.

"Yes. By .54."

"That's really great. You should be proud."

She's suddenly distant, the moments before forgotten.

"I'm going to crash. Night, Noah."

She does a mock salute and leaves.

But I want more.

Fuck it.

"Hey! We have another game tomorrow. Want to come watch?" I call after her.

She turns cautiously. Her throat bobs in thought and she drags her pink bottom lip between her teeth.

"I-I don't do well with crowds."

I've noticed that. How she avoids them like the plague or how she can't keep eye contact long.

"I'll get you glass tickets only reserved for the player's family and friends. No one will bother you in there."

I'm really stretching it here, trying to get her to come.

She thinks about it some more, and then nods.

"You promise?"

Her voice cracks and a lump the size of Texas forms in my throat.

I hold my pinky finger toward her, rasping out,

"I promise."