chapter 7

"winston, what's going on?" aviana demanded, seeing the frantic runs of the gladers

"it's the doors. they aren't closing." he answered, before him and a group of gladers ran to the walls. they all ran to the opened wall, before a loud sound pierced their ears. they watched with horrified expressions as all the doors opened.

"chuck, go to the council hall and start barricading the doors." thomas ordered, as chuck nodded. aviana pushed winston forward.

"you go with him." he nodded, as he ran with chuck.

"get the others. tell them to go to the forest. go hide, now!" gally ordered, as multiple gladers ran in fear. aviana hit gally's wrist lightly when she noticed him start anxiously look around.

"minho, I want you to grab every weapon you can find. i'll meet you at council hall." thomas said, as minho turned to aviana and the old runners.

"let's go." he said, before running. aviana started, before getting pulled back. thomas shook his head no.

"no, no, no. you, me, and teresa are gonna go get alby, all right? come on." aviana glanced towards minho and the others. she needed a weapon to fight, how was she going to protect anyone. thomas noticed this and placed his fingers on her chin, directing her to turn up towards him, before placing his hands on the sides of her face. "listen, i need you here with me. it'll make me feel better okay?"

aviana nodded, as thomas mumbled an 'okay,' before the loud screams of the gladers on one side of the wall distracted them. then the other side, until they heard the screeches of a griever from the side they were at. looking down into the maze, they noticed a griever. it charged towards them as thomas and aviana ran.

aviana turned back to see teresa frozen, so she went back. "teresa! let's go." she grabbed her wrist, as they ran towards the corn maze. aviana sat close besides thomas, with teresa on the other side of her.

aviana made eye contact with zart, who was on the side of thomas. she then noticed the griever right behind him. when it latched onto his back, she attempted to jump over thomas—to help the boy—who caught her. she was held close to him as she struggled to get out his grip, as they heard the screams of her fellow glader.

thomas lifted her up, before running out the corn maze. "get to the village!" thomas shouted, as aviana pushed people to be faster. she separated herself from thomas. he went to follow her but was pushed by a guy to continue forward.

just as they reached the hall, a griever was gaining on them. thomas turned and taunted the griever with a machete, before a couple of sticks pierced it. he saw minho, aviana, and a couple of other gladers with more weapons.

they raced to the entrance where chuck was screaming at them. thomas placed his hand behind aviana as he pushed her forward into the hall. thomas closed the door and locked it. it was quiet before a griever began striking the door.

aviana stood their with her spear pointing the entrance. they all stood quiet, as the griever tried finding other ways. it jumped on the roof, walking along it. she nudged one of the builders. "how many support beams did you put up there?" she whispered, hoping he took their advice.

"the builders didn't put any and just the beam of support." aviana was frustrated they didn't listen to her but nodded slowly, knowing where this would lead. they moved along the the hall, to the furthest part away from the griever.