chapter 5

"jeff, what's going on? what's the matter with her? why won't she wake up?" newt pressed, as aviana sat down besides the girl. she didn't know if there were any other girls left, and seeing her makes her relieved.

"hey man, i got my job the same way you did." jeff complained. thomas stared at the girl a little too long, and newt caught on.

"do you recognize her?" he asked, minho and aviana turned to the boy. newt was suspicious of the boy.

"no." he answered.

"really? because she seemed to recognize you." he accused, aviana looked back at the girl. whoever she was, or whatever she had with thomas, didn't make her feel too good. she wasn't going to let feelings get in the way, she'll never let that happen.

"what about the note?" thomas adverted the topic.

"we'll worry about the note later." newt ordered, he was the leader now since alby was sick.

"i think you should worry about it now." thomas protested, aviana also agreed with him over newt.

"we've got enough to deal with at the moment." newt replied, slightly done with thomas.

"he's right, newt." aviana spoke, brushing hair from the girl's face.

"if the box isn't coming back up, how long do you think we can last?" jeff said, speaking everyone's fears. specifically newt's.

"no one said that. let's not jump to any conclusions. we'll just wait until she wakes up and see what she knows. somebody has gotta have some answers around here." thomas nodded at his words. he made eye contact with aviana; and nudged his head towards the exit, walking backwards.

"where are you two going?" aviana wasn't sure, she was just following thomas.

"back into the maze." aviana walked besides him.

"hey. hey, thomas. what is this with you? a death wish? you just got out and now you want back in?" minho questioned, thomas looks towards aviana with soft eyes before looking back at minho.

"newt said that no one has ever seen a griever and lived to tell about it, right? minho, now we have one." he said in excitement, "you're telling me you're not even a little bit curious?"

"not really no." just then newt came out from the hut.

"aviana, i need you to stay here incase the girl wakes up. it'll help her feel more at ease." aviana glanced back at thomas before nodding. thomas grabbed at her wrist before she walked away.

"be careful."

"you too, tommy." she walked inside the hut. she walked towards alby who was whimpering in pain. he was tied down so he wouldn't hurt anyone.

aviana didn't feel any emotional attachments to anyone. or maybe she did, she just didn't know how it felt like. alby and newt were the people who helped aviana when she was confused, or would defend her when she would do something that would hurt someone else's feelings.

she thought if alby were to die; or newt, or even minho, she'd feel upset. the bond they all shared grew over years, so why was it different with thomas?

she felt like she has a deep connection. whenever she hears the grievers at night she always thinks back to thomas, or when they were actually in the maze, how she was willing to risk her life for his.

"something on your mind, aviana?" newt questioned, sitting besides her. her eyes broke from alby's body and onto the floor.

"do you remember how for the longest time, i waited for-"