13. Houses of the Holy

Start from the beginning

"And this angel..."

"Spoke God's Word."

"And the Word was to kill someone?"

"I know, it sounds strange. But what I did was very important. I helped him smite an evil man. I was chosen. For redemption."

"This man you stabbed, did the angel give you his name?"

"No, he just told me to wait for the sign. And the very next day I saw it, right beside the man's doorway. And I knew."

"Why him?"

"I just know what the angel told me: that this man was guilty to his deepest foundations. And that was good enough for me."

INT. MOTEL ROOM - DAY

Dean was lying on the motel bed, which is vibrating, as he listened to music on his phone. He looked sort of blissful. Lucie sat at the table as she looked over papers she had sprawled out. Harriet and Cadence were coloring. As Sam entered, Dean didn't notice him, Lucie did.

"Hey," Sam greeted, smacking Dean on the boot. "Hey!"

"Hey," Dean said. "Man, you gotta try this. I mean there really is magic in the-" He made air quotes.

"Dean, you're enjoying that way too much. It's kind of making me uncomfortable. Your wife looks uncomfortable too."

"What am I supposed to do? I mean, you've got me on lockdown here, I'm bored out of my skull."

"Hey, you were the bank robber on the eleven o'clock news, not me. We can't risk you just walking into a government facility."

"Hmm."

Sam waved a dismissing hand at Dean as he turned to go into the bathroom. The bed shuttered to stillness.

"Aw, dammit!" Dean cried. "That was my last quarter. Hey! You got any quarters?"

Dean pulled his headphones out and got up, crossing the room and leaning on the doorway to the bathroom where Sam was washing his face.

"No!" Sam yelled.

"Luce? Any quarters?" Dean asked.

Lucie shook her head. "Sorry, no."

"I don't got any either," Harriet said.

"That's okay. So did you get in to see that crazy hooker?" Dean asked.

"Yeah," Sam answered. "Gloria Sitnick. And I'm not so sure she's crazy."

"But she seriously believes that she was ... touched by an angel?"

"Yeah. Blinding light, feelings of spiritual ecstasy, the works. I mean, she's living in a locked ward and she's totally at peace."

"Oh yeah, you're right, sounds completely sane. What about the dude she stabbed?"

"Uh, Carl Gully. She said she killed him because he was evil."

"Was he?" Lucie questioned.

"I don't know. I mean, I couldn't find any dirt on him. I mean, he didn't have a criminal record, he worked at the campus library, had lots of friends. He was a churchgoer."

"Hm," Dean hummed. "So then Gloria's just your standard-issue wacko. I mean," he made a pshew sound, "she wouldn't be the first nutjob in history to kill in the name of religion. Know what I mean?"

"No, but she's the second in town to murder because an angel told them to. Little bit odd, don't ya think?"

"Well, little odd yes, supernatural maybe. But angels? I don't think so."