Rock Me

ROCK ME

ANNA

I could hear Kenzie moving around inside her bedroom as I stood outside the door. I'd come to tell her that I wasn't going through with it, that I couldn't do it to Beth. As my hand hovered over the door handle, my stomach churned and I stood there for what seemed like an eternity, a million questions racing through my mind.

What would everyone think of me when they knew I cut myself? For the first time in my life I'd made some real friends, people who knew nothing about my past and had begun to love me for who I was. What would they say if they knew how messed up I really was? They'd think I was a freak. I took my hand away from the door and looked up at the ceiling. I couldn't. I couldn't let Kenzie tell them. I had to do what she wanted me to do. I turned and walked down the corridor.

As I passed Niall and Louis' bedroom, I saw Niall was in there with Tilly. The curtains were shut and the room was dark. Tilly was lying on the bed with Niall sitting beside her. I stopped at the door. "Are you ok kids?"

Niall looked up. "Tilly has a headache, she's just come for a lie down."

Tilly lifted her head slightly, "He's my Doctor," she grinned as Niall put a cold cloth over her forehead. "He's going to give me a thorough examination aren't you Doctor Horan?"

"I am. Jesus! Dat sounds a bit kinky!"

She looked over at me and giggled. "I'm liking kinky Doctor Horan!"

I laughed as Niall pretended to check her pulse. "I'm just going to check yer ribs." He tickled her until she started to do her weird hyena laugh.

"No! No Nialler chops, my head, it really hurts."

"Ok, we'll save dat for later." He climbed onto the bed and curled up behind her. He wrapped his arm protectively around her and they both closed their eyes.

At that moment, watching them both drifting off to sleep, I wished so much that I was Tilly. She was such a free spirit. She didn't care what people thought of her. She just lived her life to the full, no fears, no secrets that had to be hidden away from the world. I could never be like that, I had too much emotional baggage, baggage that still came back to haunt me even when I was thousands of miles away on a tiny island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

As I walked out onto the veranda, I'd made up my mind to go through with it. I had to keep my scars hidden. I couldn't risk losing the only friends I'd ever had in my life.

I spotted Beth and Louis further along the beach. They were making some kind of sculpture out of sand and they were laughing together. Maybe they did like each other. Maybe I wouldn't be doing such a bad thing by telling Harry that. They did seem good for each other and Beth looked happy.

My breath caught in my throat and I started to feel sick as I saw Harry making his way over to the veranda. He smiled at me as he approached, dimples creasing his cheeks.

"Hey little Anna!" he called cheerfully as he climbed up the steps from the beach. "How's it going?"

"Good!" I said, trying desperately to sound cheery, my voice sounding high pitched with nerves.

He sat down on the sun lounger next to me and smiled. "What are the kids up to?"

"Well, Zayn is surfing, Tilly has a headache so her and Niall are lying down, Kenzie is in your bedroom and Beth and Louis are over there." As I pointed, my stomach turned over and I knew if I was going to do it, it would have to be now.

Harry turned to look at Beth and Louis briefly, then turned his face upwards towards the sun. "Cool!"

I took a deep breath and held it for a second. "She likes him."