We Are Never...Ever...Ever...

WE ARE NEVER...EVER...EVER...

MACKENZIE

"Holy Beyonce on toast!" Tilde yelled. "Look at Harry. He's like fudgin' superman!"

I turned my head and saw Harry trudging heroically along the beach towards us with Beth in his arms. In a split second, my whole body tensed and my teeth clenched together in anger. Why was he carrying her? Where had they been together? I started to feel the same panic I'd been feeling since I'd overheard Harry talking to Louis in the Gym.

I was all too aware that Harry had been acting coldly towards me and I had a horrible feeling he was going to finish with me soon. I took a deep breath and reassured myself for the millionth time that when I told him what I had to tell him, everything would be ok again. Hold firm Mackenzie, I told myself as I watched him cradle Beth in his arms, he's yours. Nobody is going to take him away from you. Just tell him and everything will be ok again.

As they neared the house, Tilde and Niall went running out to them. I heard Tilde shout, "What's happened to my little cupcake?" as Harry lifted her up the veranda steps and into the house, shaking his head as he went.

"Let's just get her inside on the sofa guys."

Tilly and Niall rushed in after them, closely followed by Louis and Zayn. I walked in and leant against the door frame, trying to hide the jealous scowl I could feel spreading across my face.

Harry scanned the room in a sudden panic. "Where's Anna?"

"She's with Liam, they're writing songs. Apparently," Tilde winked suggestively.

"That's ok. As long as she's not on her own."

"What happened?" Louis said, concern showing in his voice as Harry lifted Beth's leg onto a cushion. I looked over at Beth, her eyes were red, she looked like she'd been crying.

"She got attacked on the beach, by those two guys we saw yesterday." Harry's statement was met with gasps of shock all round.

Tilde put her hand up to her mouth in horror. "What? Those two skunk bags? I'll fudgin' kill 'em!" She knelt down and wrapped her arms around Beth who was smiling weakly and looking every inch the victim.

"I'm ok. I'm ok now. I've calmed down a bit."

Louis went and sat beside her on the sofa, kissing her lightly on the head. "What happened?"

She looked up at Harry and he smiled back in encouragement, making my hands fidget with irritation. There was something about the way he was looking at her. Something had changed. Something had happened. I shifted my gaze up to the ceiling, unable to look at them.

"I went for a run and I totally forgot what you said yesterday about not going into the poor area." She looked up at Zayn, her eyes filling with tears. "I'm so sorry."

I found myself muttering "Oh please," through gritted teeth as she continued her story, looking pathetic, the whole room hanging on her every word.

"One of them came out of the hut and blocked my path. He tripped me over and I fell on my ankle then they started to grab me and..." She broke down in tears and Louis put his arms around her shoulders.

As she glanced up, she gave Harry a look I hadn't seen in her before and my breath caught in my throat. "Then I saw Harry running towards me." Her eyes lit up "He was amazing! He punched the big one out cold and saw the other one off."

Harry lifted up his right hand and another gasp went round the room at the sight of his badly bruised knuckles. "Jesus!" Niall said, his eyes widening, "Dat was some punch."