Chapter 14: The Elite Eight

It was third period at the fifth ranked hero academy. Leopold sat in class as the teacher taught class 1-D todays lesson. 

"And so, what is the square root of 97?" Mr Wakiza asked.

Not only was this not even anything to do with hero stuff, but it was boring boring boring! "I wasn't a fan of the arena fights dragging on forever, but they were definitely better than this..."

Leopold sighed as she stared out the window. The battle between Cinder and Lilia had ended in shock for everyone and many people were unhappy with the end results. A win on a time technicality? That was stupid!

"Mr. Stratus..." Leopold was sucked back into reality as Mr. Wakiza called his name. "Now Mr. Stratus I hope your not staring off into space..."

"Of course not, sir!" Leopold replied, anxiously.

Wakiza sighed. "Leopold, you do realize that even with the tournament your class is still ranked at the bottom of all classes at this academy? You need to learn to raise your rank by listening to teaching!"

"By learning math?!"  Leopold's thoughts growled. Still, he just sighed and looked at his teacher. "Yes, sir"

"Good. Now can anyone tell me how to solve 89.45x multiplied by the square root of x?" Mr Wakiza continued with his horrid lesson as Leopold again zoned out. 

"Well putting the weird ending with Lilia and Cinder aside, I'm supposed to have some sort of 'special class' after this period."  With the tournament over, the top eight contenders were now set. Otherwise know as the school council.

Leopold has heard that the top eight from the tournament had some special meeting during fourth period in which they discussed something and he had to contend as one of these "elite eight".

"I really don't want to though..."  his mind complained. As he complained to himself on the inside, the bell rang to indicate the end of third period. "I guess that I have no choice..." Leopold rose to his feet and walked out the door along with the the other elite eights of class 1-D, Zion White and Nix Claw.

"So I guess we have to do this, huh?" Zion asked, rhetorically.

"Stop complaining!" Nix urged. "You should feel some honor in being one of the top eight students at this school...

Zion shrugged. "I think of this as less of an honor and more of a forced upon responsibility..."

Nix sighed and looked at Leopold. "What do you think, Leo? As the rank number 4 you have the most power here."

"I don't think that ranking works in personal disputes..." Leopold surmised. "And while I don't like having the student council forced on my back, it is our duty as members of this school..."

"I guess..." Zion mumbled. "But I still don't like it!"

"Just live with it and let's get this over with..." Leopold growled, unhappily.

The three opened the door of the selected room of the student and walked inside. Leopold looked around and saw eight chairs scattered around the room as well as a desk to the back. "Must be whoever is council president..."

"Glad you rubble could make it..." a voice hissed from the desk.

"Of course, your... is it highness or presidentness now?" Leopold asked, trying to piss Cinder off a little.

"Cinder will work just fine, idiot." she replied, cooly. 

"Whatever..." Leopold mumbled. "Anyway, is everyone here then?"