Chapter 71: Neon Light

Start from the beginning

"So what are you doing?" he suddenly asks me, changing the subject.

I don't know if I should feel hurt that he's changing the subject. I want to know what he means by our relationship. It's clear that he was attracted to me, at least he was that night, maybe even before that. I don't know what that means though. I mean there are a lot of guys who are attracted to girls or who will just take advantage of a woman in front of them just because she's an option but won't necessarily take her seriously as relationship material.

"What do you mean, what am I doing?" I ask monotonously.

"You moved here to Philly, so was it because of a job?"

"Well, there are more opportunities here, yes, but strangely I've uh... started making a little money on the platform telling stories."

"Really?" He asks with a small smile.

I don't know, but he seems genuinely happy for me.

"That sounds like something you would do. You're very good with writing."

"Yeah, and it makes me happy, and I like giving people other worlds to escape in."

"What are the stories about?"

"It's mostly horror."

Dominic offers a faint smile, something I can tell that doesn't come naturally to him. He takes out his phone.

"What's your channel?"

"Daily Dread. The red icon."

After he finds it, he presses the Subscribe button.

"There you go."

"You didn't even check out my content, so how did I earn your subscription?" I ask this jokingly to play into his logical way of seeing the world.

"You helped to support me, so... the least I can do is support you."

"Do you even like Creepypastas?"

"I mean, I like horror movies. I've never really read horror books if that's what you're asking."

"Well, if you ever get the chance or you're curious, give one a listen. I'd actually like to know what you think."

"Okay," he says without adding anything else.

"The reason why is because you are super cynical and critical of everything," I see him nodding and smirking at this while looking out the windshield. He looks tired.

"So I would appreciate it if you would tell me what you think about it," I continue with enthusiasm.

"...Okay."

I take a deep sigh. I know it's getting late, and I don't want him to kick me out of the car, so I take the initiative to take my leave.

"Well, it's getting late, and um... I know this sounds stupid, and please don't read too much into it, but do you still have my number?"

"Yes, I still have your number," he says.

"Well... um... I know we don't work with each other anymore, but... what exactly are we right now?"

Nick thinks for a moment.

"Associates?"

"Haha, is that right?" I ask, trying to keep this light-hearted.

"Yeah, old work associates."

"Okay, Mr. Dominic. Associates it is. Maybe we can be friends someday."

"I don't really do friends. I don't think I'll trust anyone enough to really have them be my actual friend."