Chapter 44: Primal

Dominic POV con't

I feel confused and then it hits me that I've been sleeping, and for way longer than I expected. Is she just coming now?! Why would she get here the next day?

"Huh... FUCK what time is it?" I yell, whipping my head up and reaching quickly for my phone on the end table to look at the time.

"It's... not actually morning, I was just joking," she adds.

Wow. The phone reads after 8:00 p.m.

I glare at her and I remember exactly why I was annoyed with her in the first place. More than anything I'm relieved that that horrible dream was just that... a dream.

"... ... I really don't understand your humor," I say.

"I brought you your ginger beer."

I sit up on the bed so that my legs can hang over the sides as I rub my face. I'm still out of it but I realize I had been sleeping for a while. I feel a little rested but still weak.

I watch as Lacie opens the bottle and hands it to me. I hadn't realized how thirsty I was until I began to guzzle down half the drink, only to notice Lacie staring at me from my left.

I let out a silent belch, and the sense of relief that follows is almost intoxicating.

"Thank you", I tell her.

"You're most welcome."

"Did you take a company car?" curious as to whether or not Art brought her here.

"Yes I did," she answers.

I don't know why but this makes me feel a little more at ease. The last time her car broke down, it was in the middle of the night. I don't know why she's so stubborn but it's definitely not a good thing when a woman can't even rely on her car to get her home.

I did tell her I would help her out again if that ever happened with her car.

I don't know why I said that but maybe it's because I expect her to always be here since she's an integral part of the documentation of the development of the game.

"Good. Here," I say, handing her back the bottle.

I thought I was feeling better but that sick nauseous feeling comes back. I try my hardest to ignore it thinking it's just the residual sensations from earlier

"Thanks for coming," I say to her as I look over at her and give her what I think is a smile.

I'm not even aware whether or not I'm smiling. However, I do feel a tinge of relief that she's here. There goes her face doing that thing again.

I just realized what I'd said. I understand how that can be taken several ways and as I look at her, I try to study her face and her body language.

I'm trying to decipher whether or not she got laid. If she did, why is she still looking at me with that 'look'?

It just occurs to me that she's in my room sitting next to me on my bed. My heart beats a little faster. Oh stop it Dominic.

The way she's smiling at me right now makes me feel something weird. There's an awkward feeling in the air. As she smiles at me, I imagine her lying back with her eyes closed smiling like that...

"What?" she questions jovially, breaking my concentration.

I lean my head back to look up at the ceiling and then close my eyes and breathe in deeply. My mind goes back to the very vivid and terrifying dream of Kiera being pregnant.

Oh God she better not be.

For some reason, thinking about that makes me feel sick all over again. My mouth starts producing more saliva once more and I start swallowing.