Chapter Sixty-Two

We returned back to Wisconsin after another week.

I hadn't told Dominic everything, but slowly, with each day that passed, I let him in little by little.

Clara and I spent that first day together once I got back. The house was cleaned, as usual, and smelled like fruit, like apples and cinnamon. She was experimenting with cooking, falling in love with it more and more. Today it was peanut butter cookies. She mostly baked sweets, considering the fact we grew up without it.

"Can I help?" I watched as she pressed the fork into the circular batter on the baking sheet to flatten it. She looked at me and smiled slowly, handing me a fork.

Dominic had told Clara about my attempt that evening he returned me back. She didn't talk very much, but looked at me sadly, as if she understood why.

I thought about Dominic. I hadn't seen him since we returned from Florida. Sometimes I panicked at the thought of him leaving or telling my secrets to someone, but I put it aside, trying to learn to trust him.

I hoped the burden I shared with him wasn't too much, too overwhelming. What if he left because he couldn't deal with me? Deal with this? I suppose it's bound to happen. At some point he'll let me down. Why tell him anything?

A knock on the door distracted me from my thoughts. Clara carefully put her fork down and went to the door. Mini stood on the other side.

Clara stepped away to let her in. "Mmm, it smells good in here. How was the trip?" She asked, turning to look at me.

"Well," I smiled softly. "We did a lot."

"Good," she smiled. "I can't stay, but I was hoping you two could join us later for dinner. We're going out. My treat."

Clara agreed, happy for the invitation.

"Great! We'll see you two later tonight then."