Chapter Fifty-Two

After Dominic's shift was over, around midnight, he dragged a drunken Katie by the arm into Nick's car, pushing her in like she was a sack of grain. Her head lolled against the back of the seat before she laid down. Dominic towered over Nick, "you take her straight home. Don't lay a finger on her," he said in a tone that allowed no argument.

Nick nodded, his features emotionless. Dominic glared at him before taking me by the arm to his car. His hold on me was tight, his fingers wrapped around the entirety of my bicep. I winced, trying to pry his fingers off. He glanced at me, and then his hold loosened.

He opened his car door and allowed me inside. He got in, but he didn't start the car, even after Nick had left.

"Did she make you?" He finally asked. He kept his eyes out on the parking lot, watching as people walked by.

"No," I replied quietly.

"You wanted to?"

"Yes."

He finally looked at me. He didn't say a word, just stared, this slight anger in his eyes.

I looked down, "I'm sorry."

He shifted, putting a hand on his knee and the other across the back of my seat. "Haven't you had enough?"

I looked at him. His blue eyes looked dark; a pit of eerie blackness that made me feel panicked.

"I don't know what happened in that orphanage, but I can take a few guesses. I mean, going to a club? Do you have any clue what some of those men could do to you, Violet!?" His voice started to raise.

"You're tiny, Violet! Someone could pick you up and do whatever they wanted to you, and you couldn't do a thing about it. Someone could take advantage of you so easily. I bet you wouldn't even scream either!" He glanced away; a muscle ticked in his jaw.

"And Katie, the way she struts in there like a walking prostitute." He looked back at me, "and you just follow her in like a lost puppy! You can't trust people, Violet. You don't have a clue what they could do to you."

I looked down, trying to hide the tears welling in my eyes. I was shaking, but not from the cold.

"And you were scared! I saw you! Katie is so blind, she doesn't notice, and you trust her anyway. Why, Violet? You seem like you put your complete trust in this girl you haven't even known a year, but you're still afraid of me...! What is wrong with you?"

"...I know," my voice shook uncontrollably as tears ran down my face. "I don't know... I don't know."

He sat there, listening to me cry, anger radiating off him. Finally, he reached across, taking my face in a single hand. He sighed deeply and then wiped my tears away. "I care. I care way too much about you, Violet."

He turned the ignition key and set the heat on full blast. "Thinking about someone else touching you really makes me mad. Or hurting you. I swear I'd kill anyone if they hurt you or made you cry." He took my face in his hands. His features softened. "I shouldn't have yelled at you. I shouldn't have made you cry... I'll hurt myself for it."

I shook my head, "no."

"No? Violet, you're afraid of me. You're shaking. I made you cry."

I shook my head, "don't hurt yourself... please."

He leaned forward and kissed my forehead. "Stop crying," he said gently, wiping the tears away. "There isn't anything wrong with you. You're perfect, Violet. I swear by it."

I met his eyes briefly and looked down at my hands.

"Violet, why are you so afraid of me? Of men? I want to know."

I looked at him, swallowing, wanting to speak and be rid of this fear, this struggle, my guilts, my anxieties, my panic and worry. I wanted to feel safe.

But I couldn't open my mouth.