Chapter Four

It had been a little bit over a month ago since we were last invited.

And Katie never brought it up. Her parents never said anything about it. I was thankful. I didn't want to try and explain something that strayed far from the truth that would make sense.

"Violet," Katie had sat down next to me at lunch one October day. "Macy's sister invited us both to a Halloween party at her college. My brother could drive us. He goes to the same college."

Macy was one of Katie's friends.

"Um, I suppose so... Sure," I had said.
She smiled and then talked about going to buy costumes after school was over, considering Halloween was next Tuesday.

After texting Clara my plans, as I remembered to do more often now, I had agreed.

After school had ended, we rode with Macy, who also needed an outfit.
I didn't want a costume. It was wrong.

We never dressed up at Halloween in the orphanage.

"It's sinful," Sara, a lady with black hair, would say. "Dressing up in these clown costumes, or vampires, is worshipping an evil spirit. You are never to wear these things."

We had arrived at a party store, which Katie had said also sold Halloween costumes once the time came around.

They shopped; I followed them around.

"Why aren't you getting a costume? It's a Halloween party," she noticed.

"I don't want one."

"Don't want one? Do you just not like the scary costumes?" She asked.

"... Yes." I had said, hoping she would leave it at that, but she continued.

"Well, you could wear like a cute one," she flipped through the costumes and held out a fairy outfit, a short blue dress and wings tucked into a large bag. "Like this," she said.

"Or," she looked again. "Something sexy, like this." She held out a very revealing bunny costume.

"No but thank you. I'll wear something nice, though."

She had looked at me a moment curiously.
"Well... Okay. I guess no one's making you dress up. I'm sure there will be others that won't."

Once Halloween day arrived, Clara helped me pick out something nice. A red dress that reached just above the knee and some small golden looped earrings she had found.

"You look pretty, Violet," Clara smiled. She took out her phone then and snapped a photo.

"Wait, Clara, no. What if someone finds that?"

"Violet, it's okay," she said. "No one will find this."

I had thought about it, letting it run over in my mind until I decided she was right. No one will find that. How would they find that? We're okay.

Then the doorbell rang.
Clara smiled and hugged me, almost hesitantly. I stiffened.
"Have fun," she said.

"Thank you."

Katie was at the door, dressed in a police costume that scooped low on her neck. Dominic was walking up the path, wearing dark jeans and a white shirt, a dark plaid over top and unbuttoned.

"Hey, so you did decide to dress up, huh?" Katie said and smiled. "You look so cute. And not to mention your frame looks amazing in that dress."

My brows furrowed. I didn't dress up; I hadn't wanted to. I should change. But then Katie was pulling me outside and towards the car.

"We're taking my car because Dom here decided to take his car apart once he got home," she said, a little annoyed.

"Katie, you knew I was putting on a subframe connector."

"Okay, I'm sorry, but I don't listen. I don't care about your car."

"Get in the car and shut up, or I'm not taking you."

Katie glared at him but didn't say anything else as she climbed into the back seat.

"You can sit in the front if you want," Dominic had said. At first, I hadn't paid attention to the fact that he was talking to me.

"Oh, I... Okay."

A small smile appeared on his lips, "you don't have to. I mean, if you really want to sit in the back with her, you can."

I had nodded and walked around to the other side.
"Betty Boop?" He said before I opened the front door.

"What?"

"You're Betty Boop, right?" He dragged out, smirking.

"I'm sorry, I..." I stopped, rethinking what I was going to say. "Yes... I'm Betty Boop."
The fact that I was telling a small lie felt wrong.

You should not lie.

Lying is sin.

I shook my head, wanting to shake the memories before they could continue.

"Hm," he said, watching me, and then he got into the car.