Chapter Twenty-Five

I returned to work that week, willingly. Clara and I had argued about this, and then Dominic had, and as promised, driven me there to work.

Despite the reservations I had, I pushed down my fear and walked into the store, both Mary-Lee and Marley there, arranging flowers in their own special way.

Marley came over to hug me as I stiffened, and then Mary-Lee, who offered words of encouragement and regret.

I brushed it off and got to work, and despite the fact I was perfectly capable of staying my entire shift, Mary-Lee wanted to send me home two hours earlier.

Dominic had pulled up before I clocked out and walked in, the little bell above the door ringing. He looked back at it with an annoyed expression.

"Violet, get your boss," he said, demandingly. I turned to leave, but Mary-Lee had shown up then.

"Can I help you?" She said warily.

"Do you have cameras here?" He asked.
Mary-Lee shook her head and gently, underneath the counter, pulled on my hand, wanting me to come closer to her.

"Mary-Lee, it's okay. I know him," I reassured her. She looked at me and then Dominic, releasing my hand.

Dominic looked at me, "no cameras? Why? After what happened, you're not going to get any?" He turned and looked at Mary-Lee accusingly.

"Please.." I started.
"We don't have the money to buy some, but I would if we did," Mary-Lee said gently, despite Dominic's attitude.

"Then I'll buy some!" Dominic said.
Marley came up from the back room. "Excuse me-" she said.

"Look, I-" Dominic drew his hand up in a fist, trying to control his anger before he set his hand down softly on the counter. "I just want her to be safe," he looked at Marley and then Mary-Lee. "I'm mad. I keep thinking about it."

Mary-Lee smiled softly and placed a wrinkled hand over his. "I know, we all do. But we'll keep her safe, alright, dear? Now go home, Violet, we'll see you later."

I followed Dominic out the store and then to his car, where he opened the door for me.

"I'm buying those cameras and having them installed tomorrow," he said matter of factly as he turned the ignition key.