Chapter Thirty-Two

I didn't tell Clara about the date until that Saturday morning.

"Dominic?" She said quietly and looked at me. "Are you sure? Do you- Do you trust him enough, Violet?" Her voice was laced with worry.

I came closer and took her hands, "I'll be okay. He... I trust him." The words came out slowly, and I questioned if I really did or not.

She stared at me, and I couldn't help but notice the worry in her eyes.
"I'll be okay." I squeezed her hands, trying to reassure her.

As the day went on, I slowly tried to think of ways to put Clara at ease. I offered she come with me or have frequent check-in texts. She never responded, just thought constantly, considering everything.

It was six, and I asked Clara if she had a dress. Though emotionless, she nodded and almost robotically went to her room.

I followed behind her, where she pulled out the only two she had: the one I wore at Halloween and a dress that was white in the center and had pink edges that reached in like gentle brush strokes.

It reminded me of a tulip.

She handed it to me, and then I quickly tried it on. I glanced in the bathroom mirror. It went down to my knees, and a chunk of my bust was shown at the neckline. The dress hugged my frame. I blushed as I admired the way it looked on me.

I wanted to change, though. Despite the beauty of it, the amount of my chest area that was showing bothered me.

I was about to slip off the dress when there was a knock at the front door.

I waited for Clara, hoping she would get it, but then he knocked again. So, I stepped out from the bathroom and hesitantly stood by the door, first looking for Clara.

I went into her room, and she sat there on her bed, her hands working nervously.
I grabbed them and squeezed tight.
"I have to go, Clara. I'll be back later... I'll be okay, don't worry."

I stood a moment, waiting for some reaction, but there was none. So, I grabbed my jacket, buttoned it up, and opened the front door.