Chapter Fifty-Six

I woke that next morning at seven and having nothing to do after going through my routine, I opened my phone and texted Clara. Carefully, I opened the bedroom door and peered down from the balcony. Someone Dominic knew was asleep on the couch, but there was no one else up.

I opened the text from Clara, and knowing all was well, slid it into my back pocket and crept down the stairs.

I looked outside through the large array of windows and French doors. The water sparkled as the sun rose, the waves were soft and calm. It looked warm and inviting.

Wanting to get closer to the water before the crowds appeared, I went to the French doors and unlocked them. I realized then how alone I was. I never had a moment to myself; I was never alone. The last time I was, a man had tried to touch me.

I hesitated in the doorway. No one would hear me if I went out. That was what scared me.

Finally, I placed a foot onto the tiled patio. The act alone felt daring, adventures, animate, but terrifying. What if something were to happen? No one would hear me. No one would see me.

I almost drew my foot back but decided to go through with it, stepping out into the rising sunshine, the softest of winds on my skin.

I stood there and glanced across the beach, the wavy sand that looked like small waves itself. It was empty. No one was awake.

That was until the door opened.

"Hey, you're up early." I turned around and saw Katie, her hair was wet and combed.

I nodded, withdrawing back towards her.

"It's very quiet... I don't like it. Anyway, we're all going swimming later. I think Macy's boyfriend, or someone has a few friends around here they're going to invite over later tonight." She turned to go back inside, then stopped. "If Dom lets him anyway." She shrugged. "I need a new bathing suit too. We'll probably go shopping today. That'll be fun."

I watched her as she continued talking but tuned her out as she rambled about different things. I glanced back at the ocean, feeling closer to Ethel the longer I stayed.