Chapter Sixteen

Clara dropped me off at work for my shift that Saturday morning. Leaves were falling, and the weather had been colder since that Thanksgiving night.

"Cold one out there today," Marley had said when I walked in. I took off my jacket and hung it on the coat rack.

"Yes."

"Mom isn't working today. She has a doctors appointment with the endocrinologist," Marley informed me.

Mary-Lee was a diabetic, being diagnosed with it since she was ten. Sometimes she liked to tell me about how things used to be, how people acted.

She liked to talk about her childhood often, which I didn't mind, I loved listening to her.

"I leave at eleven today, so you'll be on your own for an hour. Are you okay being by yourself?" Marley said.

The shop only stayed open till twelve on Saturdays.

"Yes, I'll be okay," I smiled softly.

The day was slow. Not many customers came in. Marley filled orders, the both of us getting bouquets ready for delivery tomorrow.

Before I knew it, the old antique clock in the corner struck eleven.

"Well, I'm off," Marley said, finishing her bouquet. "You're okay by yourself?" She asked again.

I nodded, "I'll be fine, thank you."

She smiled and went into the back to grab her purse. "Bye!" She called as she left.

I waved, smiled, and went back to work.

I finished the orders about ten minutes later and grabbed the broom to sweep up fallen leaves and dust.

I looked up at one point and saw a man sitting across the street on a bench. He seemed to be staring right at me. Panic set in.

No, he isn't looking at me. He could be looking at all the flowers outside the shop. You're overreacting.

I put the broom up, but he still sat there, staring. I went into the back room, out of his sight, and peered around the corner.
He was gone.

He was probably just resting.
He was young, though, late twenties.
I shook my head and crept out, looking at the clock - 11:30.

Clara will be here soon.

I finished cleaning. By the time I was done, there was only three minutes left till twelve.

Clara parked her car in front of the store. I closed up the shop and stepped outside cautiously. I didn't see that man.

"Hi," Clara smiled as I got into the car.
"Clara," I started slowly. "There was a man... I feel like he was watching me."

"A man?... What do you mean?" Her hands slipped away from the wheel.

"He was just sitting over there," I pointed to the bench.

"Maybe looking at all the flowers on the building?" Clara said, though her eyes looked scared.

"... Maybe," I said quietly, not wanting to overreact. "Let's just go."