Unexpected worktrip

Start from the beginning

"what do you think if I start working?" He raised his head from the phone and turned to look at her; "What work?"

His gaze roaming over her face which made her tensed; "Work like having a job" She stammered out.

"What kind of job?"

With excitement, she said "for example a teacher."

"You need money?" Khalid asked in a matter of fact tone.

"Work isn't just about money..."

At last, he gave her his full attention, although his expression seemed somewhat wary; "Then?"

"It's about doing something good, helpful...making use of your time..."

He inclined his head, as if to get a better purchase on what she was saying and Fajr went on; "I'll gain a new experience...I'll meet new people.."

The moment later, he relaxed; "you are doing a great job as a housewife." Then he shrugged and shifted his attention to his mobile again. Fajr felt like snatching the phone out of his hands; "Khalid, I'm serious!"

He again averted his eyes to her face; "I'm not joking either... you don't need to work."

"Why not?" She demanded insistently.

In a bossy tone, he clarified; "Because you are my wife and I don't want my wife to work. It's as easy as that."

However, Fajr tried to reason with him; "But I feel bored and I feel that I waste time on nothing."

After thinking for a moment or two, Khalid said, "Well, do something useful. Get some books and read, it will enrich your knowledge."

Disappointed at his way of thinking, she stated; " I'm not a bookworm...I don't like reading as you do."

"Ok then learn something online."

Sometimes he just couldn't understand her! Considering the way he was talking she figured that she wouldn't be able to convince him. She sighed loudly in resignation that he turned to her and arched an eyebrow; "sigh all you want. You are not going to work...Ok?"

"Such a dictator!" Fajr murmured under her breath.

His eyes flared at hearing the name she called him, she was unbelievable. He turned to look at her again and she just froze, meeting his gaze and realizing that he'd heard her. A smile defeated his best efforts to keep his amusement at bay. He said; "See, I have got a good idea."

She knitted her brows; "what's that?"

"do not you want to work?"

"yes?"

"I have assigned you a job to work as my massager from now on."

She rolled her eyes at him; "your massager?"

"yes." He said and made a sound that was somewhere between a snort and a laugh.

Fajr snatched up a cushion and hurled it at his head, but he was quick enough to avoid it. His phone kept making notification sounds for incoming messages which made Fajr fold her arms on her chest, saying; "who is texting you at this hour?!"

Not paying so much attention to her, Khalid replied as he texted back; "it's Riya"

Fajr curled her lips ironically; "Ma Sha Allah!"

The tone of her voice alerted him, so he stopped mid-text message and clarified; "she is the secretary of the CEO."

Fajr rolled her eyes in frustration; "I think she has got the wrong number then!"

Without looking at her, Khalid replied; "It's a necessary notice for all the heads of the departments."

Fajr moved her mouth to one side, watching Khalid who was so engrossed in his phone; "Yes of course, it's necessary that it couldn't be sent through email or wait till tomorrow!"

Khalid seemed briefly taken aback by her sharp tone and his finger tapping ceased abruptly. He looked at her; "What's the matter, Fajr? I'm telling you it's related to work."

She leapt off the sofa, nearly tripped over the coffee table; "well, keep working then."

He caught her by one hand and extended the phone by the other; "It's work. Read the messages."

Fajr snatched the phone from his hand and went through all the messages. After comprehending what she had read and got the whole picture, she vocalized; "The company arranged a work trip to Riyadh for 3 days for all the heads of departments including you?"

"Yes."

"So?" Fajr inquired.

With a questioning look, Khalid asked imitating her way of saying the last word; what so?

"Who will be there with you?"

"All the heads of the apartments must be there as you read."

"And Riya?"

Unbelievable! Khalid thought. 

He shook his head; "Seriously?!"

She sat back on the sofa, her eyes still on the chat between Khalid and Riya.

"The flight to Riyadh is scheduled for tomorrow evening."

"Yes."

Fajr excitedly suggested; "Let me go with you then."

"I can't. It's an arranged business travel for the employees only. You stay with my family."

"No then. I'll remain here."

"Impossible! I won't let you stay here alone. I would be in discomfort."

**********

On the afternoon of the following day, Khalid was getting ready for his trip. Fajr lined up his toothbrush and his hairbrush on the dresser. She put the toothpaste into his toiletry kit and zipped it shut. With a sigh, she placed his clothes on the bed, opened a small cloth traveling bag, and began packing his clothes inside it. He noticed that she was too calm.

"Fajr" he said this in a way that made it clear she should look at him, but she couldn't bring herself to do so.

Khalid kept a close eye on her; "Hey, what's the matter? It's just for a few days."

He took his folded shirt from her hands; "Ok I'll finish this, you prepare yourself. I'll drop you in my way."

As she zipped her backpack shut, she caught a glimpse of Khalid in the mirror that hung above the dresser. He was looking at her.

"you Ok?"

She nodded; "yes." and faked a little smile for him.

A heavy feeling settled in the space of her heart an didn't know why.

Khalid got dressed in his thobe and had his laptop bag slung over his shoulder. His black Dior Sunglasses dangled from his breast pocket.

"I'll be back before you know it." he told her.

Fajr opened the wardrobe and pulled out his brown jacket; "take this with you. It might be cold there. It's December."

"It wouldn't be that cold."

After dropping Fajr off to his family house, Khalid went straight from the house to the airport. 

********************

What is waiting for Khalid in Riyadh you think?