【Chapter 8】

I sat at the campfire all alone. Everyone else was asleep. Honestly, I was hoping Jake would sit with me by the fire again. Just him and I...

As I was sitting by the crackling fire, I thought of my life back at home, before my father died. My little sister, Mary, was only a baby at the time. I remember painting with my mother in her studio while my father would play in the pond with Mary. Mother and I were able to watch them while we painted.

I sighed at the memory. For some reason, I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. As if something happened that I can't seem to remember. The crackle of the fire caught my attention when one of the embers popped loudly. I noticed someone watching me in the corner of my eye. Quickly, I looked in that direction only to see Jake.

"𝘊𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥𝘯'𝘵 𝘴𝘭𝘦𝘦𝘱?" I asked him as he frowned.

"𝘕𝘰, 𝘐 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘢𝘤𝘵𝘶𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘩𝘰𝘱𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦."

I felt my heart speed up. He was hoping to find me here? I nodded and turned my attention back to the burning logs in front of me. Not long after, Jake made his way over and sat next to me. It was a couple minutes of silence as we watched the flames dance. There were some shuffles from tents as a few other survivors tossed and turned trying to get comfortable.

"𝘐 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘢𝘱𝘰𝘭𝘰𝘨𝘪𝘻𝘦." Jake suddenly said. I turned my attention towards him. He kept towards the fire.

"𝘈𝘱𝘰𝘭𝘰𝘨𝘪𝘻𝘦?"

"𝘠𝘦𝘴, 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘐 𝘢𝘤𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘣𝘦𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘦. 𝘐 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥𝘯'𝘵 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘪𝘨𝘯𝘰𝘳𝘦𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘐'𝘷𝘦 𝘥𝘰𝘯𝘦. 𝘐 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘴𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘮𝘺 𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘧𝘦𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴. 𝘉𝘦𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘦𝘥 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦... 𝘐 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵-"

I cut him by hugging him. He was taken aback by the sudden movement from me.

"𝘓𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘯, 𝘑𝘢𝘬𝘦, 𝘐 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘪𝘵. 𝘐 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘮𝘺 𝘣𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘧𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘯𝘥."

I felt strong arms hug me back. Jake sighed and held me close with my arms wrapped around his neck and his around my waist.

"𝘐 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘢𝘭𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶. 𝘐'𝘷𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘢 𝘭𝘰𝘵 𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘪𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘤𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦. 𝘐𝘵'𝘴 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘮𝘺 𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘰𝘵𝘰𝘯𝘪𝘯." Jake said as he was nuzzled into my neck. I felt chills creep down my spine. Not in a bad way either.

We broke up our hug. As Jake pulled away, I couldn't help but look into his eyes. His usually dark eyes held a gentle compassionate look. His eyes glistened as the world around us felt like it was in slow motion. Without a doubt in my mind. Jake, my best friend since I've been here...

𝐈𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐦𝐞...𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐈'𝐦 𝐢𝐧 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐡𝐢𝐦...

I felt the familiar mist surrounding me as Jake and I closed the distance between us. I closed my eyes as Jake pressed his lips against mine. The sensation was strange... I kissed him, hungry for something I didn't understand. The feeling of the cold mist did not compare to the warmth I felt at this very moment. Soon the sensation was gone.