【Chapter 6】

I sat in the tent with Feng as she helped me pack a toolbox. I couldn't stop thinking about Jake. I don't understand why. I can't like him, can I? I mean he is sweet, funny... hot. I mean that all in a friendly way. I'm sure Feng thinks of him the same way.

She must have noticed my distant look. I know she knows what my thoughts were about. How? Because of that little smile. The smile she gives when she knows something.

"𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸, 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘓𝘦𝘰𝘯 𝘪𝘴 𝘩𝘰𝘵. 𝘠𝘶𝘯-𝘫𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘰𝘰." Feng said all of a sudden.

She dragged me out of my thoughts with what she said next.

"𝘞𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶, 𝘠/𝘯? 𝘐𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘺𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘪𝘴... 𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘷𝘦?" She playfully nudges my arm with a stupid grin on her face. I felt my face heat up.

"𝘞𝘩𝘢𝘵? 𝘕𝘰, 𝘰𝘧 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘴𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘵."

"𝘐 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘥𝘢𝘮𝘯 𝘸𝘦𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵; 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘪𝘴 𝘢 𝘭𝘪𝘦." Feng laughed then hugged my arm leaning on me.

"𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘰𝘯, 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘦 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘣𝘰𝘥𝘺. 𝘕𝘰𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯 𝘑𝘢𝘬𝘦?" I stayed silent. That was my first mistake. Feng gasped and backed off of me.

"𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘑𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶!" She whisper-shouted. "𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘰, 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶." I could see the glint in her eyes.

I sighed and finally gave in. "𝘠𝘦𝘴, 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘦. 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘐 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘑𝘢𝘬𝘦. 𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘵'𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘪𝘮𝘱𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩 𝘣𝘦𝘤𝘢𝘶𝘴𝘦 𝘐 𝘥𝘰𝘶𝘣𝘵, 𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘦𝘦𝘴 𝘮𝘦 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘢 𝘧𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘯𝘥."

Feng giggled as I shot her a playful glare. She knows something and I'm going to get it out of her. I suddenly started to tickle her.

"𝘏𝘦𝘺! 𝘚𝘵𝘰𝘱 𝘪𝘵!" She said in between laughs.

"𝘛𝘦𝘭𝘭 𝘮𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸, 𝘍𝘦𝘯𝘨!" I yelled playfully as she squirmed trying to get away from me.

"𝘍𝘪𝘯𝘦! 𝘍𝘪𝘯𝘦! 𝘐'𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘦𝘭𝘭 𝘺𝘰𝘶, 𝘠/𝘯 𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘦!" She squealed as I tickled her laughing with her. I finally stopped and we both began to calm down our giggling.

"𝘋𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘵𝘦𝘭𝘭 𝘑𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘐 𝘵𝘰𝘭𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴, 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘩𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘱 𝘵𝘢𝘭𝘬𝘴 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶. 𝘐𝘵'𝘴 𝘢𝘴 𝘪𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘰𝘯 𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘥. 𝘐'𝘮 𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘵𝘵𝘺 𝘴𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘑𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘴 𝘢 𝘤𝘳𝘶𝘴𝘩 𝘰𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶." Feng said as I felt my face heat up.

So, he might feel the same way...

Feng and I settled into our sleeping bags and turned out the lantern. She fell asleep not long after. Her quiet snores filled the silent night. I laid awake thinking of Jake. I noticed he's been on my mind for a while. My mind then drifted to my little sister. I hope she is safe.

"𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘵'𝘴 𝘪𝘵, 𝘣𝘢𝘣𝘺." I heard Jake say next to my ear. I quickly sat up and looked around the dark tent. Feng was peacefully asleep next to me. No Jake in sight.

I laid back down and couldn't stop thinking of Jake and I... wrapped into one...

I huffed and turned over. I can't believe I'm thinking of such lewd thoughts. Although, I can only imagine what it would feel like. I felt hot, so I crawled out of my sleeping bag and went outside the tent. Maybe the cold air will clear my thoughts.

I went and sat by the campfire. There was no one else there. They all must be asleep. I stared into the fire as I hugged my knees. My back against the fallen log used as seating by the others. Someone sat down next to me with a sigh. It was Jake.

"𝘊𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥𝘯'𝘵 𝘴𝘭𝘦𝘦𝘱 𝘦𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳?" He spoke softly, watching me.

I continued to stare at the orange flames as I nodded in response. I felt my stomach do a flip when his hand accidentally brushed my thigh. I looked towards Jake and studied how he watched the fire in front of us. My gaze trailed over the striking angles of his illuminated profile. My eyes slowly trailed along the strong width of his shoulders. I glanced back to his face only to meet his dark orbs staring at me curiously.

"𝘔𝘢𝘺 𝘐 𝘩𝘦𝘭𝘱 𝘺𝘰𝘶?"

I quickly sat up straight and looked back into the fire. I could still feel his gaze. I can't believe he just caught me checking him out.

"𝘐 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵... 𝘥𝘰𝘻𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘰𝘧𝘧." Yeah, that works.

Jake chuckled and shifted so he was closer to me. I tried ignoring him until I felt his hand on my cheek. He turned my head and made eye contact with me.

"𝘐 𝘯𝘦𝘦𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘦 𝘩𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘮𝘦, 𝘠/𝘯. 𝘞𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘤𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘮𝘦 𝘰𝘶𝘵?" He asked softly, I noticed his eyes were darker than usual. I felt my heart speed up.

"𝘐 𝘸𝘢𝘴..." I could barely speak. I felt my body slowly move forward. We were inching closer together. His hand guided my head closer to him. We were so close, our lips barely apart. I then felt the same cold mist wrap around my legs.

Jake and I quickly pulled away from each other and the dark fog began to cloud my vision. I felt disappointed, until realization finally hit me.

I almost kissed Jake...