6.6 | The Battle Continues

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

Denethor pours oil over himself and a rousing Faramir, "Set a fire in our flesh!" Soldiers, with lit torches, approach Denethor. Gandalf bursts through the mausoleum door, "Stay this madness!" The guards stop, but Denethor grabs a torch, "You may triumph in the field of battle for a day, but against the power that has risen in the east, there is no victory." Denethor tosses the torch on the pyre. As the fire lights, Gandalf takes up a spear and charges Denethor, knocking him off the pyre. Pippin leaps from Shadowfax onto the pyre and rolls Faramir down off it.

A burning Denethor rises and attacks Pippin, "No! You will not take my son from me!" Shadowfax knocks Denethor onto the burning pyre, Faramir opens his eyes and looks at his father. "Faramir... my son. Ah!" Engulfed in flames, Denethor runs out of the mausoleum. "So passes Denethor, son of Ecthelion," Gandalf says with a stoic expression. Denethor falls from the edge of Minas Tirith while on Pelennor Fields, the Rohirrim are routing the orcs. "Drive them back to the river!" Èomer ordered his men. "Make safe this city!" Théoden commanded.

As the Rohirrim drive away the Orcs, giant war Oliphaunts -- Mûmakil -- come into view. Haradrim, mounted on the Mûmakil, blow horns. The Mûmakil run past the retreating Orcs. The King of Rohan does not hesitate, "Reform the line! Reform the line! Sound the charge!" Gamling blows his horn as Théoden shouts, "Rohirrim! Charge!" The Rohirrim run headlong into the Mûmakil, which dwarf them. The Oliphaunts crush many Rohirrim, although some hit the beasts with arrows and spears. Haradrim shoots arrows down at the Rohirrim.

Oliphaunts trample some of the Rohirrim. Gamling rides under a Mûmakil, shooting arrows into it's belly. Éomer twirls his spear and hurls it at one of the Haradrim captains. The Oliphaunt staggers and falls into another Mûmakil. Éowyn and Merry ride between the legs of the beasts, "Take the reins. Pull it left! Left!" Éowyn slices open the legs of an Oliphaunt, felling it. "Aim for the head!" Èomer commanded the Rohirrim. "Make for the Oliphaunts!" Gamling called out. One of the Oliphaunts is riddled with spears. Éowyn throws a spear that lands in a Oliphant's leg. The wounded beast falls and knocks Éowyn and Merry off their horse.

Éowyn scrambles out of the way to avoid being crushed. She looks around frantically, "Merry!" Théoden fights off Orcs. Éowyn fights off several of them and Théoden looks at her with possible recognition. Merry emerges and is attacked. He fights off several Orcs, including one who picks him up. Éowyn exchanges blows with Gothmog. Inside Minas Tirith, a troll hammers at a door blocking access to the next level of the city. Gandalf, Pippin, and a few remaining soldiers await the onslaught. "I didn't think it would end this way," Pippin expressed to Gandalf.

"End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path. One that we all must take," Gandalf replied to Pippin kindly, "The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it." Pippin looked up at him through glassy eyes, "What, Gandalf? See what?" Gandalf smiles fondly, "White shores. And beyond, the far green country, under a swift sunrise." Pippin smiles at that, "Well, that isn't so bad." Gandalf chuckled under his breath, "No. No, it isn't." Gandalf and Pippin smile at each other, and prepare for the breach.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

Back out on plains, Théoden gathers his remaining army, "Rally to me! To me!" Théoden turns and sees a Nazgûl flying towards him. The beast grabs Théoden's horse in its teeth and throws Théoden across the ground. Éowyn watches on in horror. The Nazgûl's mount approaches a wounded Théoden, who is pinned under his slain horse. "Feast off his flesh," The Witch-King ordered his Fellbeast. Éowyn moves between the the beast and Théoden, "I will kill you if you touch him." The Witch-King turned to her, "Do not come between the Nazgûl and his prey." The fell beast bites at Éowyn. Éowyn dodges the attack and decapitates the monster.

The Witch-King dismounts and at his full height, the Witch-King looms over Éowyn. The Witch-King attacks, eventually striking Èowyn's shield with his mace, shattering it. Éowyn cries out and falls. The Witch-King opens his arms, taunting his foe. The Witch-King grabs Éowyn by the throat, "You fool! No man can slay the Lord of the Nazgûl! Die now!" Merry, crawling up from behind, stabs the wraith's knee with the dagger of the Noldorin given to him by Galadriel. Éowyn stands before the now vulnerable Witch-King and removes her helmet, revealing her true form: a shieldmaiden of Rohan. "I am no man!" Éowyn strikes down the Witch-King and the Wraith crumbles into a heap.

On the other side of the city, the fleet of black ships pulls up along the Anduin River. "Late, as usual! Pirate scum! There's work that needs doing," Skully, an Orc growls out. The ships appear empty angering Skully, "Come on, ya sea rats! Get out off your ships!" Maristela, Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli leap out of the ships and onto land, making for the orcs. Skully and the Orcs are amused at the small assault. "There are plenty for both of us! May the best dwarf win!" Gimli calls out. As they attack, the dead army appears behind them. The dead army overruns the Orcs. 

Maristela, Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli fight alongside the ghosts against the orcs. "Fifteen, sixteen," Legolas counted off with each arrow that struck an Orc dead. "Twenty-nine," Gimli called out making Maristela roll her eyes. As Aragorn's party fight towards the city, a wounded Éowyn crawls away from a snarling Gothmog. "Merry!" Èowyn calls out. Aragorn and Gimli approach Éowyn. Gothmog raises his mace to strike her. Éowyn reaches for a sword, but it slips from her grasp. Just before Gothmog strikes, Gimli and Aragorn cut him down. "Legolas!" Aragorn called out to the Woodland Elf.

Legolas turns to see a Mûmakil running towards him. He leaps on it, and climbs towards the the top, shooting off enemies as he goes, "Thirty-three, thirty-four." Legolas cuts the saddle rope. The platform slides off the Mûmakil. Legolas walks to the head of the creature and shoots into its skull. As the slain beast falls, Legolas gracefully slides off its trunk. He lands softly on the ground, with a smirk, right in front of Gimli. "It still only counts as one!" Gimli exclaimed at him while Maristela stepped up next to Legolas. "Very impressive," Maristela complimented before she turned her head to see the dead army swarming through the city destroying the orcs.

Elsewhere on the battlefield, Théoden lies under his dead horse. Blood flows from his mouth. Éowyn crawls to his side. Théoden touches her gently, "I know your face. Éowyn. My eyes darken." Èowyn shook her head, "No. No, I am going to save you." Théoden sighed, "You already did. Éowyn, my body is broken. You have to let me go. I go to my fathers in whose mighty company I shall not now feel ashamed." He brushed her cheek, "Éowyn." Théoden dies in Èowyn's arms. However, Maristela's attention was taken by a familiar Orc standing with his own untouched army, a red glow protecting them from the dead army.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

Rosemary Speaks

Maristela battles Mauldra in the next chapter...
How will it go?

Shorter chapter for the suspense lol

Thoughts so far?

See you in the next chapter!