3.1 | Smaug's Attack

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

BELLS ARE RINGING AS THE PEOPLE OF LAKETOWN ARE FRANTICALLY loading their possessions into boats in preparation to leave their homes to escape the threat that is Smaug heading towards them. "We have no time. We must leave!" Maristela told the others as she finished adjusting her outer layer. "We're not leaving. Not without our father," Bain told Maristela as Tilda spotted something sitting on the drawers, she approached it and pulled it free. "My sword," Maristela breathed out as she reached for it, everyone watched in awe as the silver of the blade shone for a moment.

"By Odin's beard... the sword is blessed by the Valar," Oin spoke with eyes wide, Maristela smiled slightly knowing that Legolas had been the one to return her sword to her, much like her dagger. "If we stay here, your sisters will die. Is that what Bard would want?" Maristela asked Bain who frowned at those words. They moved quickly to the boat at the back of the house, Maristela was quick to get the girls into the boat. They set off down the canal, poling the boat through the floating chunks of ice as Maristela's Elven ears picked up on the flap of dragon wings, she turned in time to see Smaug unleash his flames onto the town.

"Look out!" Bain calls out as the Master's boat collides with their own; they manage to push their boats apart, but some of the Master's treasure falls into the water. "Cowardly pig!" Maristela sneered before focusing on the gold within the boat, Fíli watched in awe as the Elleth whispered something in ancient tongue causing the gold to become a dead bronze worth nothing; the Master taking no notice of the dying treasure as he throws Alfrid off of his boat. Hiding their boat under an overhang, Maristela spots Bard leaping across roofs in the distance until he reaches the bell tower.

As Smaug soars by, Bard shoots an arrow at him; however, the arrow merely bounces off Smaug's scales and falls to the ground. Bard, standing directly below the ringing bell, gets nauseated by the ringing sound, so he pulls out his dagger and cut's the bell's rope, silencing it. He shoots another arrow at Smaug, but this, like the first bounces harmlessly off. In the canals below, Bain notices his father's actions and glances at Maristela who looks deep in thought. "HE HIT IT! HE HIT THE DRAGON!" Kíli exclaimed as another arrow harmlessly hit the dragon's indestructible underbelly.

"No..." Fíli shook his head at his brother but Kíli was quick to respond, "He did! He hit is mark, I saw!" Maristela turned her head to the brothers before making eye contact with Bain, "His arrows cannot pierce its hide; nought but a Black Arrow." Bain was quick to understand what Maristela was allowing him to do, his face set in determination, Bain leaps up and grabs a hanging hook they passed under, swinging clear of the boat. "What are you doing?!" Bofur shouted to the young boy. "Come back! Bain, come back!" Fíli called out worried for the young child. "He'll be fine. Have faith in Bain," Maristela reassured them with no signs of doubt in her eyes.

With the Black arrow tipped in Valar blessed silver, Bain rushed towards his father and enters the bell tower. "Dad!" Bain called shocking Bard. "Bain?! What are you doing?! Why didn't you leave?! You were supposed to leave!" Bard exclaimed to his eldest child. "I came to help you," Bain replied to him. "No! Nothing can stop him now!" Bard expressed with sorrow and fear. "Maristela sends her regards... with this," Bain told his father with the Black arrow in hand. Bard took the arrow gratefully before stroking his son's face in care and pride, "Bain ─ you go back. You get out of here now!"