4.5 | Saurmon's Chant

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

THE FELLOWSHIP CLAMBER THROUGH ROCK AND SNOW AS THEY WALK THE PASS OF CARADHRAS, Frodo slips on some shale and as he scrambles to his feet, the Ring falls on the ground. Boromir reaches to pick it up by the chain gaining everyone's attention, his eyes focused purely on the cursed Ring causing Maristela to tense up from beside Sam and Attica. The Ring dangles before his eyes which seem to grow in stature, as if absorbing its power. Aragorn warily approaches Boromir who is currenly motionless staring at the Ring, as if transfixed by its presence.

"Boromir?" Aragorn called cautiously. "It is strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing... such a little thing," Boromir says in a trance. "Boromir... give the Ring to Frodo," Aragorn spoke quietly with his hand resting on the hilt of his sword. Boromir suddenly snaps out of his trance and hands the Ring back to Frodo, "As you wish. I care not." Boromir smiles at Frodo, ruffling his hair before turning to walk with the others, his eyes locking with Maristela who had raised a brow. "I am okay," Boromir assured her as he walked passed her.

Maristela watched as he caught up to Merry and Pippin immediately starting a conversation with them about his life in Gondor, the two listening intently to his story. "Men are weak of the mind," Legolas spoke from where he stepped up next to her. "Elves have always doubted Men but you will be surprised by their will to fight the darkness," Maristela replied as she turned her head to Aragorn who was helping Frodo through the snow. "You have a lot of faith in Men," Legolas said as they continued walking. "I do. There are good and bad sides of everyone, Legolas. But Men are balanced in it while others like Dwarves or Elves tipped the scales to one side more than the other. So yes, I have faith in Men," Maristela said with a soft smile.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

The Fellowship are struggling through a blinding blizzard, up towards the Pass of Caradhras with Attica walking ahead of them to clear the snow for the Hobbits who are being assisted by Aragorn, Boromir and Gandalf while Gimli himself pushed through himself. Legolas and Maristela walk atop the snow due to their light steps, a trait Elves were blessed with allowing them to be more agile in battle. However, Maristela stops in place hearing a strange whisper in the wind, she turned her head to Legolas who had stopped as well. "There is a fell voice in the air," Legolas informed everyone.

"It's Saruman," Gandalf spoke before turning to Maristela who closed her eyes and began whispering her own ancient chant. The blizzard slowed and soon the voice of Saruman faded out and Maristela took some steady breaths before a new voice echoed, pain shot through Maristela's body causing her to scream out alerting the others. "Ma!" Aragorn shouted as Saruman's fell voice returned reigniting the blizzard, Legolas moved forward quickly and pulled Maristela back into his chest as Gandalf moved forward, "Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho I ruith (Sleep Caradhras, be still, lie still, hold your wrath)." Legolas notices the pained expression on Maristela's face, brushing his fingers lightly across her cheek.