5.2 | Riding to Edoras

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

The company of five walks along Fangorn Forest as Gandalf says, "One stage of your journey is over, another begins. War has come to Rohan. We must ride to Edoras with all speed." Maristela nods her head as she walks with Legolas. "Edoras? That is no short distance!" Gimli exclaimed to the White Wizard. "We hear of trouble in Rohan. It goes ill with the king," Aragorn informed the Wizard. "Yes, and it will not be easily cured," Gandalf informed him, he now adorned a grey cloak over his white clothes hiding his new status. "Then we have run all this way for nothing? Are we to leave those poor hobbits here in this horrid, dark, dank tree-infested--" The trees rumble "--I mean charming, quite charming forest."

"It was more than mere chance that brought Merry and Pippin to Fangorn. A great power has been sleeping here for many long years. The coming of Merry and Pippin will be like the falling of small stones that starts an avalanche in the mountains," Gandalf expressed to Gimli and the others. "In one thing you have not changed, dear friend," Aragorn spoke directly to Gandalf who hummed prompting Aragorn to continue, "You still speak in riddles." Aragorn and Gandalf share a laugh while Maristela smiles, her former light returned to her eyes and Legolas admires it greatly. "A thing is about to happen here that has not happened since the Elder Days. The Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong," Gandalf spoke.

"Strong? Oh, that's good," Gimli said with a slight nod of his head. "So stop your fretting Master Dwarf. Merry and Pippin are quite safe. In fact, they are far safer than you are about to be," Gandalf forewarned the Erebor Dwarf. "This new Gandalf's more grumpy than the old one," Gimli muttered to Maristela and Legolas who sent him amused smiles. Outside the forest, Gandalf whistles piercingly. An answering neigh is heard and a white horse appears from the plain. "That is one of the Mearas, unless my eyes are cheated by some spell," Legolas pointed out in awe, in the distance was a familiar black shadow.

The horse stops in front of Gandalf, "Shadowfax. He's the lord of all horses, and has been my friend through many dangers." Maristela bowed to the Horse Lord before rushing towards Attica with a wide smile on her face, the wolfhound yipped in glee as he nuzzled his head against her; the two had been separated for too long. "It is good to see you again, friend," Maristela whispered to Attica who purred in response to her. "We have a long journey ahead of us," Gandalf informed them before the company of five rode across the plains in the direction of Edoras in preparation to cure King Théoden from Saruman's control.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

Gandalf and Aragorn survey the night sky after they had stopped to rest for the night; the days and nights of running still affecting the small company. "The veiling shadow that glowers in the East takes shape. Sauron will suffer no rival. From the summit of Barad-Dûr his Eye watches ceaselessly. But he is not so mighty yet that he is above fear. Doubt ever gnaws at him. The rumour has reached him: the heir of Númenor still lives. Sauron fears you, Aragorn. He fears what you may become. And so he'll strike hard and fast at the world of men," Gandalf expresses to Aragorn who stares off into the distance, the words echoing in his mind.