5.3 | Stubborn Men

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

After Theodred's funeral, Maristela took the time to bathe and change into the supplied dress that was left out for her by Èowyn. She left the chambers she had been given and headed down the throne room where she spotted Èowyn placing bowls of food down in front of two tired children, she moved to sit near Aragorn; unaware of Legolas' lingering gaze. "They had no warning. They were unarmed. Now the Wildmen are moving through westfold, burning as they go, every rick, cot and tree," Èowyn explained to her uncle after having heard their tale. "Where's Mama?" Freda asked but they had no answer.

"This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash. All the more potent for he is driven mad by the fear of Sauron," Gandalf informed Théoden before adding, "Ride out and meet him head-on. Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight." Aragorn looked up at King Théoden, "You have two thousand good men riding north as we speak. Èomer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their king." Maristela took notice of Théoden's hesitancy, she frowned knowing that he would be stubborn in his next actions.

"They will be three hundred leagues from here by now! Èomer cannot help us. I know what is that you want of me. But I would not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war," Théoden responded to their ideas. "Open war is upon you, whether would risk it or not," Aragorn reminded Théoden who approached him before speaking, "When last I looked, Théoden, not Aragorn, was king of Rohan." Maristela glared at Théoden for his words, his pride would be the death of his people. "Then what is the king's decision?" Gandalf asked Théoden knowing that Maristela was itching to defend her adopted son.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

People gather outside the Golden Hall with the Company listening in as Háma spoke, "By order of the King, the city must empty. We make for the refuge of Helm's Deep. Do not burden yourself with treasures. Take only what provisions you need." Maristela shook her head as she adjusted the belt across her newly washed Ranger clothes. "Helm's Deep! They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight. Who will defend them if not their king?" Gimli exclaimed in question as they enter the stables. "He is only doing what he thinks is best for his people. Helm's Deep has saved them in the past," Aragorn replied to the Dwarf.

"There is no way out than that of ravine. Théoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he is leading them to safety, but what he'll get is a massacre," Gandalf says before turning to Aragorn, "Théoden has a strong hold but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan. He will need you before the end, Aragorn. The people of Rohan will need you. The defences have to hold." Aragorn's eyes held determination, "They will hold." Maristela held uncertainty in his words only due to the enhanced presence of Uruk-hai. Gandalf turns to Shadowfax, "The Grey Pilgrim. That is what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of men I've walked this earth and now, I have no time."