6.5 | War In Minas Tirith

Start from the beginning

"That's it. We warned you. Prepare to be boarded," Gimli warned them ignoring Legolas' harsh glare for knocking his arm. The sailors laugh at the threat before Corsair spoke, "Boarded, by you and whose army?" Aragorn kept a stoic face, "This army." The King of the Dead appears and runs through Aragorn, leading his men in a charge to the ships. The sailors recoil and yell in terror. Maristela brushes her hand against Legolas' to assure him that Gimli's action was simply playful, he relaxed from her touch and stopped glaring at the Erebor Dwarf he now considered a good friend; even after insulting him sixty years ago.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

The Rohirrim have stopped by a lake. Éomer rides in to report to the king, "The scouts report Minas Tirith is surrounded. The lower level's in flames. Everywhere legions of the enemy advance." Théoden sighs, "Time is against us." Meanwhile, Èowyn notices Merry's hesitance as he eats, "Take heart Merry. It will soon be over." Merry looked up at the woman as he spoke, "My lady, you are fair and brave and have much to live for, and many who love you. I know it is too late to turn aside. I know there is not much point now in hoping. If I were a knight of Rohan capable of great deeds... but I'm not. I'm a Hobbit. And I know I can't save Middle-Earth."

"Do what Maristela said I was capable of if I truly believed. I just want to help my friends. Frodo. Sam. Pippin. More than anything... I wish I could see them again," Merry finished off with a determined expression. A horn blows before Èomer speaks, "Prepare to move out!" Théoden mounts his own horse, "Make haste! We ride through the night." Éowyn and Merry don their helmets. "To battle," Èowyn says to the Halfling. "To battle," He responds before the two mounted Èowyn's steed, joining the riders of the Rohirrim.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

Fighting continues at Minas Tirith. The battering ram Grond pulls up to the outer city gates. Trolls pull back the ram and let it slam into the gate. Orcs exchange volleys with archers above the gate. Gandalf, again mounted on Shadowfax, rallies the soldiers to the gate. Above, Pippin looks down at the battle. Denethor marches across the citadel courtyard. He is followed by guards carrying Faramir's litter. "I am steward of the House of Anárion. Thus have I walked. And thus now will I sleep," Denethor speaks, "Gondor is lost. There is no hope for Men." As Denethor passes, a flower on the White Tree is shown.

The procession travels the Silent Street as Denethor continues, "Why do the fools fly? Better to die sooner than late. For die we must." Denethor throws open a door to the mausoleum, "No tomb for Denethor and Faramir. No long, slow sleep of death embalmed. We shall burn like the heathen kings of old!" Denethor stops at a large raised platform, "Bring wood and oil!" However, Grond pounds the city gates. Gandalf and a group of soldiers wait inside. Grond breaks through the top of the gate. The soldiers murmur in despair. "You are soldiers of Gondor! No matter what comes through that gate, you will stand your ground!" Gandalf commanded.

The gate breaks and crumbles. Heavily armed and armoured trolls jog through the gates. "Volley! Fire!" Gandalf ordered the men. A few trolls are brought down, but several soldiers are killed. The Gondorians are pushed back. Meanwhile, Pippin enters the mausoleum of the Stewards. A pyre of wood is built around and on top of the stone platform. Faramir is placed on the platform. He moans softly as a deranged and lost Denethor leans over him, "The house of his spirit crumbles. He is burning. Already burning." Pippin runs to the pyre, "He's not dead!"

Pippin tugs on the bundles of wood, "He's not dead! No! No! He's not dead!" Denethor picks up Pippin by the collar and carries him away. "Hear now, Peregrin, son of Paladin: I release you from my service," Denethor tosses Pippin out of the mausoleum, "Go now and die in what way seems best for you." Denethor slams the mausoleum door shut before turning to his men, "Pour oil on the wood!" Pippin runs off, "Gandalf! Gandalf! Gandalf!" Gandalf leads the soldiers at the city gates, "Retreat! The city is breached. Pull back! To the second level! Get the women and children out. Get them out! Retreat!" 

The soldiers retreat, suffering heavy casualties. Outside the gate, the orc general nods with satisfaction, "Move into the city. Kill all in your path. If you find the Lady of Starlight, bring her alive and kill any who get in the way." Orcs swarm into the city. "Fight! Fight to the last man! Fight for your lives!" Gandalf screamed out to the Men of Gondor. Inside the city, Pippin finds Gandalf, "Gandalf! Gandalf! Denethor has lost his mind! He's burning Faramir alive!" Gandalf pulls Pippin onto Shadowfax. They race up the city. 

Shadowfax rounds a corner to face the Witch-King, mounted on his fell beast. Gandalf holds up his staff in defence, "Go back to the abyss! Fall into the nothingness that awaits you and your master." The Witch-King chuckles darkly, "Do you not know death when you see it, old man?" The Witch-King screams, and Pippin cries in terror. "This is my hour," The Witch-King draws his sword, which lights on fire. Gandalf's staff shatters and he falls from his horse. The Witch-King approaches Gandalf. Pippin draws his sword, "Gandalf!" The fell beast roars, freezing Pippin in fear.

Shadowfax rears at the beast, holding it at bay for a moment. The Witch-King taunts a defeated Gandalf, "You have failed. The world of Men will fall. And your daughter with it." A chorus of horns is heard in the distance. The Witch-King turns and flies towards the new threat. Gothmog and the orcs turn towards the sound of the horns. The Riders of Rohan appear across the fields. The army of Rohan stops to face the rear of the orc army. Éowyn speaks to her fellow rider, Merry, "Courage, Merry. Courage for our friends." Gothmog looks to his Orcs, "Form ranks, you maggots! Form ranks! Pikes in front, archers behind."

Théoden rides along the front lines of the Rohirrim, "Éomer! Take your eored down the left side." Èomer bows his head, "Yes, my Lord." He moves towards the left. "Gamling, follow the King's banner down the center. Grimbold, take your company right, after you pass the wall. Forth, and fear no darkness!" Théoden ordered his other men. "Arise! Arise! Riders of Théoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword-day! A red day, ere the sun rises!" Théoden shouted to his people to heightened the morale of his soldiers. Orcs prepare for the ride of the Rohirrim as Èowyn talks to Merry, "Whatever happens, stay with me. I will look after you."

Théoden rides up and down the lines, rattling his sword along the row of spears, "Ride now, ride now, ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!" Théoden chanted, "Death! Death! Forð Eorlingas!" Rohirrim horns sound the charge and Rohirrim begin to move out. Théoden leads the riders in a dash towards the orc battalions as they chant, "Death!" Orc archers shoot down some of the riders. "Death!" Théoden shouts. More orc archers fire, but the Rohirrim soon crash through the orc lines. Èomer's group plunges into the orc reserves and the fight begins.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

Rosemary Speaks

A lot of perspective changes in this chapter and the coming chapters. As they all link together for the final part of the story and hold importance. Plus, more content for you readers!

Thoughts on this? 

Thoughts on Mauldra's presence? Were you expecting it after all this time?

See you in the next chapter!