6.3 | The Beacons

Start from the beginning

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

Théoden and Aragorn ride through the encampment at Dunharrow, surveying Rohan's army. "Grimbold, how many?" Théoden asked. "I bring five hundred men from the Westfold, my Lord," Grimbold answered him before Gamling spoke, "We have three hundred more from Fenmarch." Théoden nods his head before asking, "Where are the riders from Snowbourn?" Gamling frowns as he looks to his King, "None have come, my Lord." Aragorn and Théoden share a look before they continue on their path, the two spotted Maristela talking with some people. "How is she doing?" Théoden asked Aragorn. "She's strong. Gives hope to the people," Aragorn replied, he worried for her but trusted her strength.

From a small, high encampment, Théoden surveys his army, "Six thousand spears. Less than half of what I'd hoped for." Aragorn frowned, "Six thousand will not be enough to break the lines of Mordor." Théoden held his head high in confidence, "More will come." Aragorn's eyes held hesitancy, "Every hour lost hastens Gondor's defeat. We have till dawn. Then we must ride." Théoden nods as a horse rears, Legolas speaks, "The horses are restless, and the men are quiet." Èomer nods, "They grow nervous in the shadow of the mountain." Maristela smirked at that, she knew what lies in the mountain pass.

"That road there, where does that lead?" Gimli asked pointing at the path within the mountains. "It is the road to the Dimholt; the door under the the mountain," Legolas answered the Erebor Dwarf. "None who venture there ever return. That mountain is evil," Èomer added while Aragorn looks down the path and sees a shadowy profile. "A different path, Aragorn," Maristela told him with a knowing glance. "Aragorn, let's find some food," Gimli spoke noticing the trance that Aragorn seemed to be under, the to-be King turned to his friend before glancing back at the path; turning away completely.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

Maristela positions her elbow pulling tight on the string of the bow, she takes a steady breath before releasing the string firing the arrow into the target however, it doesn't hit the bullseye making her huff in annoyance. "You're still too tense," Legolas spoke as he approached her, he held a small smile. "I've never been good at archery," Maristela told him, "Growing up I favoured a sword rather than a bow while my mother was one of the best with a bow." Legolas smiled fondly at the way Maristela spoke of her mother. "How did you choose a sword over a bow?" Legolas asked her, he was intrigued.

"A friend I had many years ago," Maristela replied before staring off into the setting sun with a dazed expression almost as though she were trapped in a memory. "Aldous was visiting Rivendell and the sword he carried was one forged by the High Elves. I had taken it during his time conversing with the council and attempted to use it, I swung the blade into my leg giving me the first of many scars," Maristela told Legolas who chuckled at her memory before she continued, "He taught me the skills of swords. He treated them like people and always spoke highly of those who tinkered."

Maristela turned to Legolas, "Aldous was the one to introduced me to Aragorn's grandfather when he was just a teenager." Legolas' eyes widened as he did the numbers within his own mind before smirking, "I'd be right to assume that you are older than me." Maristela winked at Legolas, "A woman never reveals her age but I will say that you are correct... but not by much." The two laughed together before Legolas cleared his throat, "May I?" Maristela nodded allowing him to help her position her elbow correctly. "Now calm yourself. This tension will only make you second guess your aim," Legolas whispered before holding her waist subconsciously.

As Legolas helps Maristela perfect her archery skills under the moonlight, a cloaked rider approaches the upper encampment at Dunharrow. Sleeping, Aragorn dreams of Arwen who speaks, "I choose a mortal life. I wish I could have seen him, one last time." The Evenstar pendant falls to the floor and shatters. Aragorn wakes with a shout, drawing his knife. A soldier stands in the tent doorway. "Sir? King Théoden awaits you, my Lord," The soldier informs him before leaving the tent. Aragorn, still in a strange daze from his dream walks to the king's tent. Aragorn enters Théoden's tent. Théoden stands next to a seated, cloaked figure.

"I take my leave," Théoden exits. The cloaked figure stands and approaches Aragorn, lifting his hood. "My Lord, Elrond," Aragorn bows to Lord Elrond. "I come on behalf of one whom I love," Lord Elrond tells Aragorn, "Arwen is dying. She will not long survive the evil that now spreads from Mordor. The light of the Evenstar is failing. As Sauron's power grows, her strength wanes. Arwen's life is now tied to the fate of the Ring. The shadow is upon us, Aragorn. The end has come." Aragorn shakes his head, "It will not be our end but His."

"You ride to war but not to victory," Lord Elrond responds, "Sauron's armies march on Minas Tirith, as you know, but in secret He sends another force, which will attack from the river. A fleet of Corsair ships sails from the South. They'll be in the city in two days." Aragorn lowers his head slightly as Lord Elrond continues, "You're outnumbered, Aragorn. You need more men." Aragorn sighs, "There are none." Lord Elrond steps closer, "There are those who... dwell in the mountain." A flash of a ghost appears within Aragorn's mind, his thoughts trailing back to the mountain path.

"Murderers! Traitors! You would call upon them to fight? They believe in nothing! They answer to no one," Aragorn expressed to Lord Elrond. "They will answer to the King of Gondor!" Lord Elrond told him before he reveals a sword, "Andúril... Flame of the West. Forged from the shards of Narsil." Aragorn took the sword from Lord Elrond's outstretched hands, "Sauron will not have forgotten the Sword of Elendil." Aragorn draws the sword, "The blade that was broken shall return to Minas Tirith." Lord Elrond watched Aragorn closely.

"The man who can wield the power of this sword can summon to him an army more deadly than any that walks this earth. Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be. Take the Dimholt road," Lord Elrond told him before sighing, "Be the man Maristela has always believe in. She will follow you till the very end, Aragorn." Aragorn looks uncertain as Lord Elrond speaks familiar words to Aragorn, "Ónen i-Estel Edain. (I gave Hope to the Dúnedain.)" Aragorn looks up at him as he responds, "Ú-chebin Estel anim. (I have kept no hope for myself.)"

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

Rosemary Speaks

Oh man... this is gonna be interesting!

Also added Pippin's song because I love it so dang much!

Cute Legolas and Maristela moment, I think yes!
They won't have many chances in war.

Thoughts?

See you in the next chapter!