6.2 | Rohan's Celebration

Start from the beginning

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

Maristela and Legolas stand on the balcony looking out at the plains of Rohan, Mordor in the distance. "What are your concerns?" Legolas asked Maristela in hopes to ease her. "I fear what I will lose in this war... who I will lose," Maristela replied before looking down, "I am worried that..." Maristela sighed before looking up at Legolas, "I've been here before. The night before the storm and the last time... I cannot go through that again." Legolas knew she was talking about Fili's death, he frowned seeing the distant pain in her eyes and he quickly pulled her into his embrace, her arms wrapping around him.

"I know not what may happen tomorrow but I am certain that we will all fight to see it to the end," Legolas promised before pulling back enough to cup her face, "I carry your fear, Maristela but I carry something else now." Maristela tilted her head at his words, "What else do you carry?" He smiled at her, "Faith. I carry faith in you, us and the good in life. We will see our victory." The two stared into each other's eyes before Maristela brushed her thumb lightly across Legolas' bottom lip, she swallowed carefully before moving closer to him when Aragorn exited the hall and spotted the two. He smirked as he realised he ruined the moment, he'd teased them later.

They look toward Mordor though Maristela stands between the two. "The stars are veiled. Something stirs in the East. A sleepless malice. The Eye of the enemy is moving," Legolas spoke after a moment of silence between the three of them. Indoors, Pippin wakes up and approaches a sleeping Gandalf alerting Merry, "What are you doing? Pippin! Pippin?" Gandalf is asleep, although his eyes are open. Pippin waves a hand over Gandalf's face to make sure. Pippin takes the Palantír from Gandalf, replacing the space in Gandalf's hands with a chamber pot. "Pippin! Are you mad?" Merry asked his best friend.

"I just want to look at it! Just one more time," Pippin replied to Merry though his sweaty face was evidential that he was more affected then they had believed. "Put it back!" Merry orders as Pippin unwraps the stone. "Pippin. No! Pippin!" Merry exclaims as Pippin reaches out for the stone. Pippin becomes affixed to the now glowing stone. Outside, Legolas turns to Aragorn as Maristela stumbles, she winced as a piercing pain struck through her mind and she fell to her knees. "Ma?!" Aragorn shouted as Legolas spoke, "He is here!" Aragorn turned his head to the room where the company were sleeping, Legolas helped Maristela up as they rushed towards it.

"I see you!" Sauron taunts Pippin who moans in pain unable to remove his hands from the Palantír. "Pippin! Help! Gandalf Help him! Someone help him!" Merry exclaims in fear. Aragorn and Legolas enter with the Woodland Elf helping Maristela who shrieks in pain being closer to the Palantir. Everyone awakes seeing Pippin, stuck to the burning orb, writhing in pain. Aragorn takes the Palantír and falls to his knees. The Palantír falls from Aragorn's hands and rolls across the floor. Gandalf throws a cloth over it, "Fool of a Took!" Gandalf tends to a terrified Pippin, "Look at me." Legolas helps Maristela who is now panting.

"Gandalf! Forgive me!" Pippin looks away but Gandalf stops him as he speaks, "Look at me. What did you see?" Pippin shivers uncomfortably as he answers the White Wizard, "A tree... there was a white tree in a courtyard of stone... it was dead. The city was burning." Maristela opened her eyes and looked up at Gandalf and Pippin, "It was Minas Tirith... I saw it for a moment before he..." Maristela looked away before leaning back in Legolas' embrace, his heart was racing having witnessed her in pain again; it was something he hated more than anything in this world. If he had the power, he would make sure that the woman he loved never suffered.

"I saw... I saw Him! I could hear His voice in my head!" Pippin exclaimed gaining Gandalf's attention again. "And what did you tell Him? Speak!" Gandalf demanded. "He asked me my name. I didn't answer. He hurt me!" Pippin cried out, his pain making Maristela's worsen due to her empathy being haywire from Sauron's interference; he was stronger than before. "What did you tell Him about Frodo and the Ring?" Gandalf asked him with worry in his blue eyes. "Nothing!" Pippin answered him with certainty, Maristela trusted his word but it was clear that Gandalf had other plans in mind.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

Gandalf talks to Théoden in the Golden Hall. Aragorn, Maristela, Legolas, Gimli, Merry, and Pippin are also present. "There was no lie in Pippin's eyes. A fool... but an honest fool he remains. He told Sauron nothing of Frodo and the Ring," Gandalf assured Théoden after explaining the situation to him, "We've been strangely fortunate. Pippin saw in the Palantír a glimpse of the enemy's plan. Sauron moves to strike the city of Minas Tirith." Maristela frowned as her mind trailed to Boromir, she had no care to know how his father responded but was worried for his younger brother whom she had yet to meet.

"His defeat at Helm's Deep showed our enemy one thing: he knows the heir of Elendil has come forth. Men are not as weak as he supposed; there is courage still, strength enough perhaps to challenge him. Sauron fears this. He will not risk the peoples of Middle-Earth uniting under one banner," Gandalf continued, "He will raze Minas Tirith to the ground before he sees a King return to the throne of men. If the Beacons of Gondor are lit, Rohan must be ready for war." Maristela clenched her jaw at that, she hated Sauron more than most as he was the root of all evil in Middle Earth and this was this one opportunity to stop it.

"Tell me... why should we ride to the aid of those who did not come to ours? What do we owe Gondor?" Théoden asked Gandalf. "I will go," Aragorn volunteered. "No!" Gandalf exclaimed at that. "They must be warned!" Aragorn growled at Gandalf. "They will be. You must come to Minas Tirith by another road. Follow the river and look to the black ships." Gandalf turns away from Aragorn and looks at his daughter, "Understand this: things are now in motion that cannot be undone. I ride for Minas Tirith." Maristela held her head high as Gandalf looks at the hobbits, "And I won't be going alone."

Maristela knew that Pippin would accompany Gandalf to Minas Tirith after what he had witnessed, she was worried for both of them in the presence of Denethor who was a greedy man that held no care for anyone outside his walls. She stood on the same balcony from the night before when a presence approached her, stopping beside her with his head high watching as Shadowfax took off with Gandalf and Pippin upon his back. "There is so much love in your heart, I find it difficult to see how you take life with such skill," Théoden spoke. "Taking life is not something to treat lightly. There is purpose in both love and hate, Théoden," Maristela replied before she walked away.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

Rosemary Speaks

ALMOST KISSED?!
Aragorn can tease Legolas now though.

Thoughts?
Any ideas when they could kiss?

See you in the next chapter!