3.7 | Durin's End

Start from the beginning

Meanwhile, Bolg throws a huge stone at Legolas, and it smashes the bridge beneath him. In an amazing and inhuman feat of agility, Legolas manages to run up falling rocks and leaps at Bolg. As they fight, Legolas manages to stab at Bolg, but Bolg grabs the knife between his arm and armor, just line in their encounter in Laketown. This time, though, Legolas smiles and uses the knife as leverage to swing atop Bolg's shoulder; he then stabs Bolg through the top of his head, killing him; Legolas leaps back onto land as the bridge falls to the ground, carrying Bolg's body with it.

As Thorin and Azog fight, the ice continues cracking beneath them. They both pause for a second, then Azog swings again. This time, the ice actually begins to break apart beneath them. As Thorin stumbles over an edge of the ice, Azog manages to knock his legs out from under him with the chain. As Azog swings again, Thorin manages to roll away; He leaps behind Azog, who is off balance, and slashes him again. Azog angrily swings the rock and chain at Thorin, missing; this time, the rock becomes stuck in the ice, and Azog is forced to slash at Thorin with his bladed arm.

Though Azog looks into the sky behind Thorin in shock, in the distance, eagles fly into the battle with Radagast upon the Eagle Lord. They sail through the ranks of the oncoming Orc reinforcements from Gundabad, decimating them. Beorn, riding atop one of the eagles, throws himself off it and transforms into a bear as he falls to the ground; he had heard and felt Maristela's pained wail and it only angered the bear further. Thorin throws his sword down, reaching forward he lifts the rock at the end of the chain and tosses it at Azog, who instinctively catches it.

Azog looks at him in shock as Thorin jumps backward, off the ice floe that they were both standing on; without his weight to balance it, and with Azog at the other end holding the rock, the ice floe tips over and plunges Azog into the water below. He scrabbles at the edge, but the chain pulls him down and Thorin pants in exhaustion from the fight. As Thorin bends down to pick up Orcrist, he sees Azog through the ice, being pulled slowly by the current toward the frozen waterfall. Thorin slowly walks above him, and they stare at each other through the ice. Azog closes his eyes for a moment before he opens them, stabbing his arm-blade through Thorin's foot.

Azog leaps through the ice and pins Thorin down, as he goes to stab Thorin with his arm-blade, Thorin manages to stop it from piercing his chest by sliding Orcrist in one of the forks of the blade. Maristela, with Legolas' assistance, manages to get back into the ruins, she looks up at Legolas who sees the heartbreak within her eyes and he lowers his gaze in mourning. Azog, using gravity and his superior weight and position, slowly pushes his blade further and further as Thorin struggles to keep it away. His mind falls to the knowledge that his nephews were dead, he had failed to protect them.

Maristela turns to see Thorin's predicament, she moves to help him but he simply smiles with tears in his eyes. "No!" Maristela screamed as Thorin slides his sword out of the fork allowing Azog's blade to stab him through the chest, Legolas' eyes were wide as Maristela watched with her mouth agape. As Azog smiles, Thorin raises his own sword and stabs Azog through the heart; from their close quarters, Azog cannot avoid it. Thorin flips Azog over onto his back on the ice and forces Orcrist all the way through Azog with a roar of anger and grief.

Bilbo, waking up from unconsciousness, sees the Eagles overhead, "The eagles are coming..." Thorin, mortally wounded, struggles to get up; he stumbles toward the edge of the waterfall, looking out over the battlefield below, where the remaining Orcs are being slayed and overrun. Weak from his wound, he collapses on his back and Bilbo comes running up in surprise. Maristela rushes over with Bilbo, both drop on either side of the King. "Don't move! Don't move! Lie still!" Bilbo exclaimed as he examines Thorin's wound then recoils in shock.

"I'm glad you are both here..." Thorin breathed out painfully, blood dripping from his mouth as he stared dazedly at them. "I wish to part with you both in friendship," Thorin continued as he reached for Maristela's hand, she sniffled. "No. You are not going anywhere, Thorin. You're going to live," Bilbo told Thorin but Maristela knew that Thorin would not survive this wound. "I would take back my words and deeds at the gate. You did what only a true friend would do. Forgive me... I was too blind to see. I'm so sorry that I have led you into such peril," Thorin spoke to Maristela before looking at Bilbo, "Both of you."