"Mari?" Kíli turned to her seeing the panic within her eyes. "It's a trap! Bilbo warned us of an ambush, we need to leave! Where's Fíli?" Maristela asked looking around for the Dwarf she was falling for. "He went off on his own," Kíli replied, fear creeping within him as Maristela rushed out of the halls with him following behind her. After searching for Fíli with no luck, the two reach where Thorin, Dwalin and Bilbo were standing. "We can't find Fíli!" Kíli told his uncle while Maristela closed her eyes and tried to focus on Fíli himself but the overwhelming presence of Orcs blocked her access to him.

As they turn to search for Fíli, they hear a drum sound from Ravenhill. Looking back at the tower, they see a light appear. Atop the tower, Azog appears dragging a bloodied Fíli behind him causing the others to freeze in place. Time seemed to slow down as Azog spoke in Black speech, "This one dies first. Then the brother. Then you, Oakenshield. You will die last. And I'll capture that pretty little Elleth for the one who desires her blood." Maristela's eyes were locked on Fíli's and she could hear her heart pounding in her chest, she stepped forward only for Fíli to shake his head subtly. "NO! RUN!" Fìli screamed out as Azog lifted Fíli by the neck before stabbing him through the chest with his arm-blade.

Maristela felt every particle of air as Azog spoke again, "Here ends your filthy bloodline!" Azog drops Fíli to the ground but Attica pounces and catches the Dwarf prince from hitting the stone ground. Maristela drops to her knees as she lets out a heartbreaking scream that echoes through the lands affecting the ears of the Wargs, disorienting the trolls and beasts that fought alongside the Orcs. Gandalf stumbled slightly from the pained wail that came from his daughter, Thranduil's own heart cracking as Maristela's heartbreak burned through the lands of Middle Earth; Even Elrond in Rivendell heard her cry and bowed his head.

Kíli rushed into the ruins with his own cry, his plan was to kill Azog while Attica bought Fíli's body to Maristela, lowering the Dwarf to the ground in front of her as Dwalin, Thorin and Bilbo rushed to fight the Orcs. Maristela's shaky hands cupped Fíli's face, tears fell down her cheeks as she lightly brushed her thumbs across his cheeks. "I'm... so... sorry..." Maristela whispered to him before leaning down to give him one last kiss. She wished more than anything to send the energy of her life and power into him, to try and bring him back but to do such a thing would not promise it was his soul that returned and with the threat of Sauron, she couldn't take that risk.

Maristela weeped into Fíli's chest as Thorin and Azog fought a small distance behind her, the whereabouts of Kíli was unknown to the Elleth nor Dwalin's. Bilbo, still on the other side of the river, hears a noise and ducks as Werebats fly out of the fog. His sword glows blue and he looks back to see Bolg and his forces climbing over the ruins; Seeing Bilbo, the Orcs charge at him, but Dwalin intercepts them and fights them off single-handedly. Tauriel and Legolas pause on their way to Ravenhill as they see the Werebats massing. The Werebats fly down to the main battlefields, swooping through the ranks of soldiers and causing mayhem.

Legolas leaps and grabs the leg of a passing Werebat and it carries him away, the echo of Maristela's pained scream still bounced through his mind causing him to think the worst had happened to her. Tauriel sees Kíli fighting several Orcs on the ruins, she rushes to help the Dwarf of whom she loved. Azog and Thorin continue fighting on the frozen river. Thorin manages to knock Azog down and Azog slides down a slippery slope; before Thorin can chase after him, other Orcs arrive and he is forced to fight them. In the courtyard, Bilbo throws rocks at Orcs as Dwalin fights.

As Bilbo continues throwing rocks, Bolg suddenly runs out and smacks Bilbo in the head with the handle of his mace, knocking him out cold. As the Werebat carries Legolas over a stone tower, he shoots it through the neck, killing it and forcing it to release him; he drops gracefully on top of the tower. Azog, recovered suddenly charges at Thorin and knocks him onto the surface of the frozen river. Azog orders his Orcs to kill Thorin, many of them rush out onto the ice. Thorin looks around rapidly as they approach hum; suddenly, the Orcs begin falling over with arrows stuck in them.