3.1 | Smaug's Attack

Start from the beginning

Looking beyond Bard, Bain spots Smaug approaching the tower rapidly, Smaug having determined where the arrows were coming from. "DAD!" Bain screamed out as Smaug smashes through the top part of the bell tower. Bard finds himself lying down on the remaining top of the tower while Bain is hanging by one arm to the remains of the tower; he has the Black Arrow in the other. Bard grabs Bain's arm and hauls him back up and meanwhile, Smaug lands closeby in the town, crushing buildings underneath him, directly in the way of the Master's boat.

Bard pulls the Black Arrow out of the hands of the petrified Bain and stands up, facing Smaug who watches him. "Who are you that would stand against me?" Smaug asked with a growl, Bard reaches for his bow only to find that it was broken in half. "Now that is a pity. What will you do now, Bowman? You are forsaken. No help will come," Smaug taunted Bard, the Man looked around frantically but there is nothing to help him. Smaug begins moving towards him, crushing the buildings beneath him, "Is that your child? You cannot save him from the fire. He will BURN!" Suddenly, a sharp whistle echoed through the air stopping Smaug in his tracks.

Smaug roars in anger as an arrow sticks into his eye, blinking to remove the sharp object, he turned to see Maristela standing on the roof of a luckily still standing home. "Elvish blood mixed with that of a wizard... but I know that blade," Smaug reared his head high, his chest glowing from the fire building. As Smaug focuses on Maristela, Bard fixes the two broken halves of his bow into the wall of the belltower, with the bowstring taut between them. He fixes the Black Arrow to the bowstring, and lays the front end of the Black Arrow on Bain's shoulder, who is standing in between the fixed pieces of the bow and facing Bard.

Maristela dodges the dragon's mighty roar of fire, Fíli watched with worry but trust that she knew what she was doing as he and his kin escaped the town with Tilda and Sigrid; he had promised Maristela that he'd keep the girls safe. "Stay still, son. Stay still," Bard tells his son with a calm tone, Maristela takes notice and knows she needs to angle the dragon to reveal the missing scale on the left wing. "Tell me, wretch ─ How now shall you challenge me?" Smaug asked as Maristela jumped across the roofs to allow Bard the opportunity to strike the dragon. "You having nothing left, but your DEATH!" Smaug roared out.

Bain looks back at Smaug but Bard calls him back, "Bain! Look at me. You look at me." Bain nods slightly, his fear was evident but Bard had faith that should he miss, Maristela would divert the attention to her. "A little to your left," Bard instructed his son, Bain shifts a little to his left, moving the tip of the arrow to the right, toward the spot where Bard spotted the missing scale. Smaug rears up with the intent to strike Maristela but Bard releases the Black Arrow and it flies off at high speed from Bain's shoulder. It hurtles through the air and sinks all the way to the very end of it, almost 6 feet into Smaug's chest through the spot without a scale.

As Smaug leaps forward in pain and fear, Bard grabs Bain just as Smaug careens into the tower. Bard and Bain fall with the tower into the water as Smaug rolls and slides through the town, destroying everything in the town. Maristela barely dodges the large beast, throwing herself into the water to escape the Firedrake's dying body. Smaug struggles to fly up into the sky; With massive effort, he manages to flap a few hundred feet up, screaming and wheezing in pain as the silver tip of the arrow melted into his blood causing him to gasp for breath. His eyes lose their light and he falls back down upon the city, dead, with the arrow sticking out of his heart; landing on the town's Master's boat, killing him.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

The sound of Smaug hitting the ground echoes throughout the land, all the way to the Dwarves on the Mountain; They all jump in surprise. "What was that? What happened?" Nori asked in shock. "It fell. I saw it!" Bilbo exclaimed to the other Dwarves, they all peer out at the town in the early morning light. "It's dead. Smaug is dead!" Bilbo cheered loudly. Thorin, still staring at the Lonely Mountain and not at the town, has a strange expression of happiness cross his face. "By my beard! I think he's right! Look there! The Ravens of Erebor are returning to the mountain!" Gloin exclaimed with pure joy within his eyes, several birds can be seen cawing as they approached the Mountain.