2.6 | Bard, Their Smuggler

Start from the beginning

Balin, who is standing near the edge of the group, sees a barge floating in the river behind the man. He moves towards him slowly, "Excuse me, but, uh, you're from Laketown, if I'm not mistaken? That barge over there, it wouldn't be available for hire, by any chance?" The man lowers his bow before climbing aboard his barge as the Dwarves approach allowing Balin to handle the situation. "What makes you think I will help you?" The man asked Balin. "Those boots have seen better days," Balin replied to him with a gentle tone as the man begins to load the barrels into his barge, "As has that coat. No doubt you have some hungry mouths to feed. How many bairns?"

The man turned his head to Balin, "A boy and two girls." Balin smiled fondly, "And your wife, I'd imagine she's a beauty." The man's eyes turn solemn as he speaks, "Aye. She was." Balin's smile fades at those words, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to--" He is interrupted by Dwalin whispering loudly to Thorin, "Oh, come on, come on, enough with the niceties." The man turned to Dwalin with raised brows, "What's your hurry?" Dwalin sneered up at the man, "What's it to you?" Maristela rolled her eyes at Dwalin's guarded personality, she pushed herself to stand up despite Fíli's quiet protests.

"I would like to know who you are and what you are doing in these lands," The man pointed out to Dwalin with a calm demeanour. "We are simple merchants from the Blue Mountains journeying to see our kin in the Iron Hills," Balin told the man easily lying through his teeth. "Simple merchants, you say?" The man questioned clearly not believing Balin's words. "We'll need food, supplies, weapons. Can you help us?" Thorin asked the man without wasting any more time. The man looks at the barrels and examines the various dents and nicks they received during the fight with the Orcs.

"I know where these Barrels came from," The man told them knowingly. "What of it?" Thorin asked him with a challenge in his eyes. "I don't know what business you had with the Elves, but I don't think it ended well. No one enters Laketown but by leave of the Master. All his wealth comes from trade with the Woodland Realm. He will see you in irons before risking the wrath of King Thranduil," The man expressed to the Company of Dwarves and Bilbo, Maristela rolling her eyes knowing all about Laketown's Master and his little sidekick that both cared about themselves rather than the town itself.

The man boards his barge and tosses a rope to Balin, Thorin mouths to Balin, "Offer him more." Maristela moved towards the front of the Company but Nori and Dori refused to let her through unless they knew the man wasn't a threat to her. "I'll wager there are ways to enter that town unseen," Balin pointed out to Man standing before him. "Aye. But for that, you will need a smuggler," The Man told him. "For which we will pay double," Balin promised, the man looking at him suspiciously. "Oh come on, Bard, you really going to deny yourself double?" Maristela spoke pushing her way through the Company into the view of Bard.

"Miss Maristela, we meet again," Bard spoke as he took notice of the Elleth, his eyes noticing the blood that covered her clothing; a sight different to the last time they encountered each other. "It has been some time, Bard. But these Dwarves are true to their words, they will pay," Maristela assured the man, he still held some hesitation before bowing his head. "Hurry, climb on," Bard instructed them, she grinned up at him before approaching the barge, accepting his hand to climb aboard. He noticed how she winced when applying pressure to her right leg but was distracted by Balin's words of gratitude for his assistance.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

Bard paddles the Dwarves, Bilbo, and Maristela across the lake in his barge. It's very foggy and the barge pushes aside ice floes, suddenly, large stone formations appear out of the fog. "Watch out!" Bofur shouts while Maristela laughs to herself knowing that Bard knew these waters better than anyone, as proven when Bard expertly poles the barge between the rock formations which turn out to be ancient ruins. "What are you trying to do? Drown us?" Thorin questioned Bard, distrust clear in his eyes while Maristela tried to keep her leg elevated and comfortable as the pain became semi-bearable for now.