2.1 | Beorn, Old Friend

Start from the beginning

"Go! Get to the house!" Maristela called out to the Company before slowing herself down, she turned to face the oncoming bear. "MARI!" Fíli called but Gandalf had grabbed his shoulder and forced him ahead, Thorin pulling Bofur and Kíli ahead as well when they turned to help the Elleth. The bear was bounding toward Maristela, she took in a deep breath before letting out a whistle in a melodic tune that caused the bear to falter to a stop in front of her. The Company had managed to reach the house, Fíli looked back and watched in awe as the large bear pressed its head into Maristela's raised palm.

Gandalf opened the door allowing the Dwarves and Bilbo to enter, he closed it shut and locked it knowing that Maristela would access the home through the side door. "What is that?" Ori asked with wide eyes full of curiosity. "That... is our host. And a dear friend of Maristela's," Gandalf answered him, the Dwarves and Bilbo turned to Gandalf in bewilderment. "His name is Beorn, and he is a skin-changer. Maristela and Beorn share a bond that was formed after he had saved her many years ago," Gandalf added while Thorin glanced towards the door, he hadn't expected such a beast to have willingly saved an Elleth Ranger but Elves were always more in tune with nature and animals.

Oin checks his hearing trumpet to make sure hr has heard Gandalf correctly while Fíli fought his instinct to rush out there and pull Maristela into the safety of the house, he knew she could handle herself as she had proven as such but he had natural instincts to protect the one he was falling for; twisting the small bead in his pocket out of sight of the others. It wasn't a traditional bead but it was the best he had until they entered the halls of Erebor, there he would find what he desired and it would be within the halls of his Forefathers that he would start officially courting the Elleth no matter the opinion of others; only Thorin and Kíli's opinions mattered.

"Sometimes he's a huge black bear; sometimes he's a great strong man. The bear is unpredictable, but the man can be reasoned with," Gandalf spoke as Maristela stepped into the room from the side door. "However, he is not overly fond of Dwarves," Maristela spoke as she walked closer, Bofur instantly hugged her. "Don't you wonder off into danger!" Bofur scolded but the smile on his face showed her that he was being playful. "He didn't hurt you, did he?" Ori asked softly, his eyes looking the Elleth over. "No, Ori. He means me no harm, the bear may be unpredictable but he is fairly fond of me. Considers me a bear cub," Maristela reassured him.

"He's leaving!" Ori spoke noticing that the Bear was no longer lurking by the door after he had accompanied Maristela to the safety of his home. "Come away from there!" Dori ordered as he pulled his youngest brother away from the door, "It's not natural, none of it. It's obvious: he's under some dark spell." Maristela laughed at Dori's words, he always came out with the most amusing statements; not that he considered them amusing. "Don't be a fool; he's under no enchantment but his own," Gandalf told the prissy Dwarf while Maristela shook her head and moved towards the cushions in the corner; a space she had slept before.

"Alright now, get some sleep, all of you. You'll be safe here tonight," Gandalf suggested as Maristela put her things to the side, she laid back against the soft cushion and lightly played with the bracelet on her wrist. It was quiet moments like these that made Maristela miss her little bundle of joy, Elessar. Lord Elrond always made comments about how Elessar viewed Maristela as a mother rather than an older sister due to the maternal way Maristela treated the young boy. She knew that she would have to visit Rivendell after they had reclaimed Erebor as the boy would be awaiting her return eagerly.

"Are you okay?" Fíli asked as he sat down by her side, his brother lying on his bed roll a short distance from them talking to Bofur and Gloin. "Yeah, I just miss someone back in Rivendell. He's kind of like a son to me," Maristela answered with a small smile, Fíli nodding knowing she was talking about the boy they had seen momentarily in Rivendell when the Elleth wished him farewell. "I'm sure he looks forward to hearing about your tales," Fíli told her as he readjusted his coat. "Perhaps you should write him a letter, I'm sure you'd have a way of getting it to him," Fíli added with a smirk, Maristela simply winked at him.