1.10 | Making Memories

Start from the beginning

The Dwarves were stunned by the emotion within the songs meaning, their culture music was so heavy with tone and raged like a storm in the most beautiful ways but Maristela Sea Lullaby struck a new chord within the Dwarves. "You wanna know what that song means to me?" Bofur spoke up from where he stood leaning against a large boulder. "I would love to," Maristela told him with a smile. "The Beauty of Home," Bofur began before looking around at his kin, "The Golden Halls of Erebor and our journey to reclaim our home." Maristela grinned hearing Bofur's perspective of the song, the others agreeing with him.

"Do you know any other songs?" Ori asked, he wanted to hear her soft voice again. Maristela thought through her collection of lullabies and soft songs she had grown up with from both her mother and the culture of Rivendell but the song that came to her was one that she had heard during her travels. "I can think of one you may enjoy, the song is something I heard through my travels in Middle Earth, a handmaiden sang it to me during my time in Rohan and it is something that gives me peace," Maristela told the Dwarves, they all moved closer eagerly while Bilbo nodded for her to sing as he too was loving the music.

Lay down your head and I'll sing you a lullaby
Back to the years of loo-li lai-lay
And I'll sing you to sleep and I'll sing you tomorrow
Bless you with love for the road that you go
May you sail far to the far fields of fortune
With diamonds and pearls at your head and your feet
And may you need never to banish misfortune
May you find kindness in all that you meet
May there always be angels to watch over you
To guide you each step of the way
To guard you and keep you safe from all harm
Loo-li, loo-li, lai-lay
May you bring love and may you bring happiness
Be loved in return to the end of your days
Now fall off to sleep, I'm not meaning to keep you
I'll just sit for a while and sing loo-li, lai-lay
May there always be angels to watch over you
To guide you each step of the way
To guard you and keep you safe from all harm
Loo-li, loo-li, lai-lay, loo-li, loo-li, lai-lay

Ori, Nori, Bifur, Bombur, Glóin, Oin, and Dori had all fallen asleep to Maristela's lullaby and their gentle snores of peaceful sleep echoed through the night as the remaining looked up at the stars before looking at Maristela, the moon was shining on her and it seemed to make her brown locks glowed with strands of Silver; she looked angelic under the moonlight. Gandalf took notice of the way Thorin was smiling softly, his eyes distant like he was remembering a time when he was younger, Dwalin wasn't tense as he smiled and Balin looked completely at peace from the lullaby; Even Bofur was relaxed where he stood.

Kíli was lying on his bed roll with his eyes on the stars, he took steady breaths as Maristela's song echoed through the night. Fíli, however, was watching Maristela with eyes full of adoration, a sight that made Gandalf smile in realisation that the young Dwarf was falling in love with Maristela. Gandalf knew that Maristela held interest for the Dwarf but she would only pursue him after they had reclaimed Erebor, she wouldn't risk her heart messing with her quest. Fíli was a good fit for Maristela and their potential union may come with troubles but with Thorin's approval and Maristela's reputation within the world, the two had a chance for a union.

"Your melodies are beautiful, Maristela," Thorin spoke as he looked at Maristela, she smiled widely at Thorin. "Thank you, Thorin. I look forward to singing them in the Halls of your Forefathers," Maristela told him with a bow of her head, Thorin chuckled lightly. "That will be a sight to see," Thorin told her, the two laughed knowing the Dwarves would be confused with the softer songs but Thorin believed they would all enjoy them much like the Company had. "Truly exceptional," Bilbo spoke once he had left the memories of the Shire and Rivendell, he smiled at Maristela, the Elleth grinned with flushed cheeks from the compliments.

"Alright, alright. I'm gonna do a quick perimeter check, get some sleep," Maristela told them before getting up and going off to ensure they were safe, her Elvish sight allowed her to see further than the others. Gandalf chuckled, "She never could handle being complimented or appreciated by others." Thorin laughed to himself hearing that before turning his gaze to Bilbo who was settling into his bed roll, the Hobbit let out a content sigh. "I'm really glad that I left the Shire with all of you," Bilbo said softly, his eyes landing on Gandalf who bowed his head before they all closed their eyes allowing sleep to overcome them along with the distant sound of Maristela singing her lullabies.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

Rosemary Speaks

Just a short little extra scene. The songs may seem "cringey" for you but remember that music is a huge part of both Dwarven and Elven culture.
So get over it, they were around a campfire with Maristela singing soft lullabies; nothing cringe about it.

The first song is called "Song of the Sea Lullaby" and it is sung by Nolwenn Leroy. It's a beautiful song and you should listen to it.

The second song is called "Sleepsong" by Secret Garden. Another beautiful melody that I truly love listening to when I'm anxious or uneasy.

Anyway, onto the next act.