1.2 | The Dwarven King

Start from the beginning

"Gilgalad, heed mín warning. An fuin will afad-," The Elvish whispers in Sindarin echoed through the wind. Her eyes closed as she took in a steady breath before opening her eyes and noticing her father's stormy words, "Enough! If I say Bilbo Baggins us a burglar, then a burglar he is." Maristela shook her head slightly, she knew this quest would change the Hobbit and she only prayed to the Valar that he'd survive.

( Starlight, heed our warning, for darkness will follow. )

"Hobbits are remarkably light on their feet. In fact, they can pass unseen by most if they choose," Gandalf expressed, "And while the dragon is accustomed to the smell of Dwarf, the scent of Hobbit is all but unknown to him, which gives us a distinct advantage." Maristela agreed with her father's words as she moved to stand by Fíli and Kíli's chairs, the concerns of the warning washing away.

Gandalf turned to Thorin, "You asked me to find the fourteenth member of this company, and I have chosen Mr. Baggins. There's a lot more to him than appearances suggest, and he's got a great deal more to offer than any of you know, including himself. You must trust me on this." Thorin stared at Gandalf thoughtfully, he wasn't sure about the Hobbit but he did trust Gandalf's opinion.

"Very well. We will do it your way," Thorin replied before turning to Balin, "Give him the contract." Maristela moved from the room leaving the Dwarves for their entertainment, She moved to clean up the pantry and place everything back neatly. "Lady Maristela," Thorin's voice caught her attention, She turned to him and bowed her head respectfully. "King Thorin," Maristela greeted but Thorin waved it off.

"I'm not a King," Thorin told her but Maristela simply smirked as she moved to put the clean dishware away. "Yet. Thorin Oakenshield, not yet," Maristela corrected him. "You have no faith in the Hobbit?" Maristela questioned him as he passed her a few plates. "You do?" Thorin fired back with intrigued. "Hobbits have a way of... exceeding one's expectations. Something you will see for yourself, Thorin," Maristela told him before he was called away by Balin.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

The Dwarves gather in Bilbo's living room, smoking their pipes by the fire. They all begin humming, Maristela looks up from the braid she was working on in her hair. She had heard Bilbo's refusal but she stood strong on the belief that the young Hobbit would join them on their quest to reclaim Erebor and though he would face many trials, Bilbo would prove himself to be what she knew from the beginning; A true adventurer.

"Far over the misty mountains cold,
To dungeons deep and caverns old.
We must away 'ere break of day,
To find our long-forgotten gold.
The pines were roaring on the height,
The winds were moaning in the night,
The trees like torches blazed with light."

The company set up bed rolls throughout the space of Bilbo's home, Maristela slipped outside to feed Attica before laying against his body feeling safe by her companion. She took a moment to truly think about the quest they were about to go on, she knew that this journey would be one to truly remember but a part of her fears what may come.

Maristela was woken in the early morning by Gandalf, She smiled as she took his hand before brushing off the dirt from her dress. "You have a quick moment to change clothes," Gandalf told her with a nod, She smiled before slipping into Bilbo's home with the bag her father had handed her. She stepped into the bathroom and shed off the dress she had worn for some time before slipping into something that would allow her to move with more agility.

Once she had changed into the velvety blue clothes, she adjusted her hair and let the hood of her cloak hang down. She slipped on the Mithril bracelet uniquely shaped like leaves, with small diamonds carefully placed; It had been a gift from a dear friend. Maristela adjusted the ring on her finger, the silver and gold glinted in the light before she tied her belt to her waist as she walked out of the Hobbit home. Her blade sat in its sheath and she could feel her mother's dagger in the sheath on her thigh.

"Are we ready?" Maristela asked the company of Dwarves as she climbed upon Attica's back, the large Wolfhound had startled the Dwarves who hadn't noticed the beast hiding in the shadows of the morning sun. "Is that a Wolfhound?" Bofur asked with wide eyes, the distant kin of Huan; The great Wolfhound of the First Age. "Yes, this is my companion, Attica. He has been with me for many, many years," Maristela replied as she ran her fingers through his fur.

The company made their way out of The Shire upon ponies ─ A horse for Gandalf and Maristela upon Attica. "Ten coins say Bilbo comes," Maristela told Fíli and Kìli as Attica padded in step with the brothers' ponies. "Deal," The brothers replied in unison leaving Maristela to smile before Ori spoke up from in front of her. "Twenty coins says he does within the next few minutes," Ori bravely spoke and Maristela agreed with a fond smile. "Wait! Wait!" Bilbo's frantic calls echoed behind them.

"I signed it!" Bilbo told them once they had stopped, the two brothers sighed realizing they had been wrong to bet against him. "Everything appears to be in order. Welcome, Master Baggins, to the Company of Thorin Oakenshield," Balin said after taking the contact and inspecting it with a pocket glass. The Dwarves cheer while Maristela notices Thorin's unimpressed scowl.

"Give him a pony," Thorin ordered. "No, no, no, no, that─that won't be necessary, thank you, but I─I'm sure I can keep up on foot. I─I've done my fair share of walking holidays, you know. I even got as far as Frogmorton once─AGH!" Bilbo was lifted from his arms onto a pony by Fíli and Kíli resulting in the Hobbit's tense figure.

Maristela gently led Attica to Bilbo's side and smiled at the Hobbit, "Relax, Bilbo. Ease the reins on your lap, she knows where she is going so there is no need to steer. Don't tense your thighs too much and allow yourself to relax." Maristela's soothing words allowed Bilbo to relax enough to not disturb the pony he was sitting on, she nodded before moving ahead.

"Now, pay up boys," Maristela told Fíli and Kíli who sighed before handing over the coins, She smiled before Attica moved forward to Ori, handing over the two pouches. "Your coins, Master Dwarf," Maristela told him, she smiled at the wide grin upon the youngest Dwarf's face. "No, no, wait, wait, stop! Stop! We have to turn around," Bilbo called out gaining the attention of the Dwarves and Maristela.

"What on earth is the matter?" Gandalf asked the young Hobbit. "I forgot my handkerchief," Bilbo replied and Maristela noticed the scowl on Thorin's face. She pulled a clean handkerchief from her bag and turned to Bilbo, "Here you go." The Dwarves continued on their way while Maristela stayed by Bilbo and Gandalf, the latter smiling towards his daughter; her compassion and understanding were something she got from her mother.

"You'll have to manage without pocket handkerchiefs and a good many other things, Bilbo Baggins, before we reach our journey's end. You were born to the rolling hills and little rivers of the Shire, but home is now behind you; the world is ahead," Gandalf told Bilbo with a far-off look in his eyes. "And trust my words, Bilbo Baggins, the world will surprise you with its many wonders," Maristela told the young Hobbit, Bilbo smiled at the way her eyes lit up; her words instilled an excitement for their journey within his heart.

⊱ ──── {⋆ 🌌 ⋆} ──── ⊰

Rosemary Speaks

Tell me your honest thoughts about this story so far. When I was writing this, I was listening to Ambience music of Rivendell and it was so peaceful and relaxing.

What do you think of Maristela? Or Attica?

See you in the next chapter!