Part Seventy-Six: It's Time

"Did vu sleep out here, Schatz?" König squats down to help me up from the ground.

Groggily, I grab König's hand as he lifts me to my feet. Now that I'm standing, I only nod in response.

"The Lieutenant isn't happy," Gaz sighs, crossing his arms stiffly across his chest. "What happened?"

What happened?

He says that if I'm just automatically the one to blame. And maybe I am. Ghost wasn't wrong about the things he said. I did defy my commanding officer. I did take risky actions. I did grant Soap that last wish, though I'm not sure how Simon feels about that.

"Are you saying Price didn't fill you in on everything that happened?" I ask incredulously.

Gaz immediately frowns, saying sternly, "He did. Now I want to hear it from you."

Who is Gaz to make such demands? We're the same fucking rank.

The only thing he hears from me is a scoff as I begin walking away.

"Not so fast," Gaz grips my arms in haste.

"You have a lot of goddamn nerve-"

Gaz cuts me off.

"Relax," he sighs and loosens his grip. "I just want to talk."

Yeah, right.

"There are better ways to go about that." I give Gaz a sour look, crossing my arms. "Listen, what goes on between Ghost and I is none of your concern..." I look at König. "Or anyone's concern for that matter. Obviously, he's upset because I was insubordinate and it could have cost me my life. Happy?" I huff sarcastically.

Gaz just raises his brows and shakes his head.

"Aren't you supposed to be leaving today anyway?" I bark at Gaz, hoping to dismiss him.

"Oh, you mean to take my friend's dead body home? Yeah, I am," he hisses and heads back to Mateen's house.

Dammit.

"Zere is food. Vu need to eat," König tells me, his concern evident as he watches me with my head hung low.

"Right." I give him a fake smile.

König and I enter the home shortly after Gaz does.

I would say it's technically warmer inside Mateen's home than outside but as soon as we walk through the door a cold chill runs down my back.

Ghost, Price, Mateen, and Laswell are all sitting at the kitchen table. Gaz is sitting on the couch, sulking.

I'm greeted with tension and awkward stares.

Great. Just what I needed.

I make eye contact with Ghost—his eyes telling me he's still angry—but then he turns his attention back to the table.

Whatever. I'm angry too.

"Zit here." König pulls out a stool and lightly taps on it. "I vill zerffe vu food." König smiles and starts to ready a plate for me.

I sit on the stool and wait patiently. I don't dare to look over at the table because I can already feel the lingering eyes on me.

"For vu, Schatz," König says kindly and hands me a plate.

I've no appetite but I appreciate the sentiment.

Feeling utterly hollow, I just stare down at the plate.