Part Thirty: Moving Forward

The following day with Ghost was a good one.

We spent the first half of the day training. You know, the usual stuff: Going on a run, combat, some shooting drills.

We also reviewed our plan for tomorrow. Once I get in good with Hassan we'll be able to rescue the hostages.

Ghost told me a lot about Farah and the significance she holds with Task Force 141. She wasn't just a friend to the members, but an associate, someone they worked with during a mission against Al-Qatala. Ghost told me she's especially close with Captain Price, which explains his reaction to the news of her capture back at base.

I'm going to have to pull it together for her and 141.

I also created and discussed my course of action on how I will take Hassan out with Ghost.

We've come up with a pretty solid plan.

Once we've made it into Hassan's private quarters I'll need to find some time to isolate him. That means finding a way to distract his guards.

Ghost has an idea for the distraction but hasn't disclosed all the details yet.

After training, Ghost and I spent the rest of the day relaxing and talking.

We talked about us.

We decided to take things slow, with no labels. We aren't boyfriend and girlfriend, just two friends exploring the possibility of a future together.

Don't get me wrong, though. Pretty firm boundaries have been set.

I've made it clear that if he becomes intimate with another woman again then this exploration between us is over, and vice versa. Ghost fully agreed.

I don't know where this will take us, but I know I'm happy where we're at.

For people like Ghost and I, it's incredibly hard to open up and attach ourselves to people, and I think we've surprised ourselves with how easy it's been to do that with each other.

So I'm hopeful, still a little cautious, but hopeful.

Day turns into night and Ghost and I have to go to bed soon to prepare for tomorrow.

"Can I ask you something?"

Ghost nods his head.

"I know I asked you this back at base, but some time has passed. Do you..." I take a deep breath. "Do you think I'm ready? Do you think I can handle the next phases of this mission?" I ask nervously, fidgeting.

I've never been a confident person. Kinda hard to be when you've been told most of your childhood that you're worthless.

I wonder if that's how Ghost sees me...

"I know you're capable of handling this mission," he says assuredly, holding my gaze.

Without hesitation, a big smile appears on my face.

His confidence in me makes me feel confident.

"You should know that too." He smiles at me.